I Forge Iron

Help with forge pot

scottyp74

Im wanting to build a forge pot. I dont seem to work anything bigger than 1 1/2 square or round stock. I am thinking of making the pot 8x10 and 3 1/2 inches deep. Would this be a good size fire pot to start with. The fire I have now is 6 inches deep and is 12 by 15. It eats coal like crazy. It is just way to big. What do you guys think????

Side blast or bottom, any fuel other than coal? If you look at the commercial bottom blasts, they pretty much give you the specks. Assume the bottom to be 2" (3 for the bigger pots) and the sides slope in to it. 

as I don't play with bottom blast forges much I realy can't give you a play by play of how to build a bottom blast. I seen an exile to one built from a 2" into 6 or 8" reducing bell fiting and 2" firings for the tuyere. Jerald used a peice of 1/2" square shaped into a "S" for a grate and bent a peice of 1/4x3/4" the hard way and welded it on as a flange (expansion and contraction broke the welds to the table). He then fabricated the table and legs with rivets. Folks heel telling him it's an old forge just like their grand dads...