I Forge Iron

knives from files question...

elkdoc

I have made a few knives from files and have never annealed before forging. However I always try to finish all forging on a blade in one session and as soon as forging is finished I normalize the whole blade and tang.

This relieves any residual stresses and gets the blade ready for heat treatment.

If you want to drill for handle pins etc. you will definately have to fully anneal, or you will get through an awfull lot of drillbits.......

one_rod.

If you want to drill for handle pins etc. you will definately have to fully anneal, or you will get through an awfull lot of drillbits.......one_rod.

Actually if you take an old dull drill bit of the correct size you can spot aneal.

All you do is chuck it up and run it backwards and push down on the tang with it. It WILL get hot and remove the hardness in only that spot.

Ralph 8)

When using those large tooth wood rasps to make blades, I like to leave the teeth, makes a neat "scale" pattern. Also they make a great woodplane blade, wood workers aroud here like them... alot , especialy when it was their old wood rasp you forged into new plane irons, I guess some people get attached to their tools :D And some people will pay a little extra for character, one of my customers said to me: if I wanted shiny stainless I'd go to wallyworld, when I want something that will cut I come to you. it's nice to hear things like that. 8)

I have a kindling hatchet I forged from a rasp. It was a High C one so I just foled it over and forged welded it and drifted the handle hole to fit a hammer handle---cheaper than a hatchet handle around these parts. Quenched the cutting edge in vegetable oil and drew to straw from the eye (so the eye is fully drawn and only the cutting edge is left straw.

Works a treat.

Thomas