I Forge Iron

Soderfors Anvil research

RickC

Good evening All,

i just joined the forum and saw Frosty appears very knowledgeable and commented on Swedish anvils. Could you help me with this one I bought today and cleaned up. It is a Sodefers, with a Paragon stamp. 120 pounder. I cannot find much info on the year of manufacture and the import info. 

Anything you or or other members may know would be much appreciated.

Thanks, 

Rick

IMG_4269.JPG

IMG_5120.JPG

IMG_5121.JPG

•  

IMG_4267.JPG

Edited by RickC
Add photo

Welcome aboard Rick, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many of the Iforge gang live within visiting distance. Heck you may live just up the road from me. That actually has happened to me a couple times.

I don't know how knowledgeable I am about Soderfors anvils other than to say you'll probably never use a better anvil. Look on the other side for a date though not all Soderfors anvils were dated, a lot depended on who they were cast for.

Have you used her yet? She's a beauty and deserves to have hot steel hammered into her face. Just be careful of her edges they're more brittle than newer anvils they WILL chip if you hit the edge with the hammer very hard. Just be careful till you develop good hammer control. And don't be surprised when a missed blow dents your hammers, blunts your chisels and rings your ears through plugs and muffs.

That is a beautiful anvil in superb condition, almost new Primo tool, congratulations.

Frosty The Lucky.

On 03/10/2016 at 6:36 PM, RickC said:

Good evening All,

i just joined the forum and saw Frosty appears very knowledgeable and commented on Swedish anvils. Could you help me with this one I bought today and cleaned up. It is a Sodefers, with a Paragon stamp. 120 pounder. I cannot find much info on the year of manufacture and the import info. 

Anything you or or other members may know would be much appreciated.

Thanks, 

Rick

IMG_4269.JPG

IMG_5120.JPG

IMG_5121.JPG

•  

IMG_4267.JPG

That's a nice anvil. I was supposed to get a soderfers which was 71lb, once I saw the anvil I was surprised by its size so I got something bigger.

I noticed soderfers ring very loud for some reason.