I Forge Iron

Building Gas Forge with yard junk :)

b4utoo

Found a few things...thought I would see if I can put together a gas forge...

Here it is so far...started this afternoon.

Added a side piece for a table in case I need to set something down... 

Its some kind of air tank on top...bottom is some kind of button stand...I literally had a box connected to it with a button in it....no idea what is was for...

grabbed a metal box I had laying on side of house... I needed some height so I figured I would add the box for some storage...

..not sure what I'm going to add or subtract tomorrow on it, but its fun seeing what I can figure....

thumbnail_20160927_190440_resized.jpg

thumbnail_20160927_190500_resized.jpg

thumbnail_20160927_190636_resized.jpg

NOT MEANT TO BE!!!

GOT IT ALL SET UP, AND TAKES WAAAAAY TOO LONG TO GET HOT, AND TAKES WAAAAY TO LONG FOR ANYTHING I PUT IN THERE TO GET HOT!! UGGH!

Going back to my coal sweet coal forge!

I'm sure people have had way better experiences, more burners, better fire brick etc.... I have patience, but not that much patience....

And there you have it. A good reason to have READ THE GAS FORGE SECTION, you wouldn't have made so many fundamental mistakes. Do you even know how many cubic inches the chamber is?

Must be nice to have good coal available.

Frosty The Lucky.

16 hours ago, Frosty said:

Do you even know how many cubic inches the chamber is?

Total eyeball guess, I'm going to go with over 2000 cubic inches, given the rough size of the cylinder and the thin layer of insulation. A Frosty T-burner will do what, 300-350 cubic inches? So, that size forge would need 6-7 of them? Yeah, but no.

b4utoo, the problem isn't your shell (even if it does look a little big). Go back and read the gas forge section like Frosty suggests, and give a LOT of thought to how big a forge you need, how it should be shaped, how much and what kind of insulation to use, and so on. Look, even 3" of insulation (fiber and castable refractory) around the inside of that shell would bring your volume down by about 75% (again, rough guess), meaning you could probably do a 2-burner forge fairly easily. That thin layer of whatever is in there now (A) probably is lousy insulation and (B) means your working volume is much too big.