I Forge Iron

harbor fraight 55 anvil

I have herd the term "you get what you pay for" many times. Getting started out, I am working with the little extra money i earn on the side to get a forge going. I bought a 55lb anvil from HF for $29. I beat only hot steel on it, but I still beat the heck out of the face and edges, no I am not missing too much. So I pulled out my trusty old 9amp 4.5in agnle grinder and went to town. I made the horn round. cleand off the face and put a radius on the edges. Sparks where flying, but not that many on them. I guess the cheap things is cast iron or mild steel, there is not tool steal on the face. is there any way I can weld a piece of tool steel on the face? or would I be best if I took the time I would waste on the anvil worked and saved for a nice anvil, get my buddy to take half the money I would spend on some tool steel, take me in the back and kick me a couple of times?

I would save up your dough and scoop up a higher quality anvil later. Don't throw more money after the china freight anvil.
Watch the usual places, farm auctions, etc. You could also post here in the tailgating section for one.
I keep trying to convince the Chief Finance Officer (my wife) that new anvils are a great deal because that they are cheaper than steak on the pound. She is not seeing the vision yet.

In the meanwhile, keep plugging away on what you have, dress it as you need.

The 55# anvil from HF is cast iron. There is really no hope for it. HF does have the "110# Russian" anvil (AKA "Submarine"). It is cast steel. I got one for my son's starter anvil, it works. I think it is the only steel anvil that they sell. My nearest store said they were discontinued, had not had one since July. I found 3, 55mi away, in Vineland, NJ. They probably have two left, they are not on display anywhere in the store. The best part was that they were only $59.99 ($0.54/#). Too bad you already have the 55# C.I. ASO, $30 more and you can actually use the "Submarine". Good luck, MIKE

(DadofFrogPond)

Take a look at Marco/Krieger Armory - Rapiers and Accessories 120# *steel* anvil with mass under the hammer zone cost $25 + some time.

Think out of the box; I've forged with the broken off knuckle from a RR car coupler before---steel, free and a better anvil than the HF cast iron ASO.

Most of the world forges on anvils that are not London Pattern onesl Shoot the japanese swordsmith's anvil looks like a steel rectangular solid and they still manage to forge blades that some folk think are passable...

Note that for the cost of doing a proper hardface job on a cast iron anvil you could probably buy a *real* anvil and pay cash!

i have one of those cheepo cast iron anvils and it actualy has some good uses. there good for cold cutting on i dont worry about dinging it up. also make a good forge welding anvil to set right by the fire pot. take metal out lay right on it and tap put right back into fire. Its also good for my son to bang on sence i want let him beat on mine. So there are uses you can use one for there just not any good for regular work on.
also just a sugestion if you want to try it. you could always cut a pice of good steel lay it on top drill holes and then drive pins down into it. Its not a perfect answer but it should make the face more usable.

I am not certain how you could hard face a cast iron anvil. If it were cast steel you could hard face it. If you start welding on cast iron you may crack the anvil.

Just continue to use it. Be careful on the edges so you don't chip then. Have fun using it until you find something better.