I Forge Iron

Draw knife Pear wood handles all hand made and finshed

jlpservicesinc

I forged this up as a demo at one of the event's I was doing..  No electric power was used in the making of this..  The pear wood handles were cut with another draw knife.. 

Blade is 5160..  It was forged to this exact shape and  hot rasped to remove the scale..  it was draw filed with a bastard file and then finished with sand paper on a flat file.. 

The handles once joined with the blade were heated in a vat of linseed oil and bees wax and allowed to bubble off for a short time.. 

20160907_104900.jpg

23 minutes ago, TwistedCustoms said:

Very nice work. How did you make the ferrules?

Thanks, forge welded flat stock..  by the time the ferrules were in process I had all ready been demoing for a few days and it was pretty hot all days.. This was day 3 of the show so instead of making them thinner which is what I would have preferred.  I used the stock at standard size.. which is either 3/16" or 1/8" an were shrunk onto the handles.. 

the thicker ferrules actually works well as that is where the thumbs sit so offers just a little extra purchase when really pulling hard... 

10 hours ago, aessinus said:

Awesome work.  All done at a demo?  Don't get nervous around crowds apparently.. Kudos for that

I don't even see the crowd's..  to busy working...

Kind of feels like a fish in a fish bowl..

10 hours ago, TwistedCustoms said:

Very cool, I would love to have that one sitting on my shave-horse. I have bow staves that need thinning and no time to play with archery till January but the sight of that knife warms my soul.

Love bow making... website? Pictures?

5 hours ago, Frosty said:

That's a nice looking draw knife JP. How's it work?

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks..  Works great..  will shave so fine and smooth it makes snow flakes..

jlpservicesinc....no other websites, who has the time. Other than about two dozen supply houses I have bookmarked, ( some of which I learned about here, thank you IFI and co.) this is the only place I spend time online. I like the company much better than the FB crowd and being bombarded by pictures of cats with clever captions. If I get to hunt this fall I'll take some pics of the gear. Hickory flat bow drawing 55#@28" cedar shafts with right helicoil turkey fletching and forged two blade broad heads. The cutting diameter varies a few mills because I file them all till they weigh 125 grains. Getting the weight right for the spine of the shaft is more important to me than whether the wound channel is 1 7/8" or 1 15/16" and the deer don't care. As long as my broad heads are in the picks maybe it won't be too far off topic for this sight. I'll throw a fire striker in just to be safe. Be sure to update us when the mobile smithy is complete.

7 hours ago, TwistedCustoms said:

jlpservicesinc....no other websites, who has the time. Other than about two dozen supply houses I have bookmarked, ( some of which I learned about here, thank you IFI and co.) this is the only place I spend time online. I like the company much better than the FB crowd and being bombarded by pictures of cats with clever captions. If I get to hunt this fall I'll take some pics of the gear. Hickory flat bow drawing 55#@28" cedar shafts with right helicoil turkey fletching and forged two blade broad heads. The cutting diameter varies a few mills because I file them all till they weigh 125 grains. Getting the weight right for the spine of the shaft is more important to me than whether the wound channel is 1 7/8" or 1 15/16" and the deer don't care. As long as my broad heads are in the picks maybe it won't be too far off topic for this sight. I'll throw a fire striker in just to be safe. Be sure to update us when the mobile smithy is complete.

My understanding is anything bladed..  Arrow broadheads apply..   Making bows by hand is an awesome skill set and to me well worthy of a share..  It's like hammer handles..  I make my own and without them a hammer is useless.. 

You said a mouth full with lack of time.. I also suffer from lack of website.. 20 years ago I started to learn HTML to make one and got about 1/2way to publishing it and then I had a computer crash and wham.. all gone.. 

I look forwards to see your examples..  I like google+ for pictures and such vs FB which I find impossible to navigate..   

You bet.. I'm just about done with the mobile setup.. Just little time suckers now.. Drawers, file holders and foot hammer.. :)