I Forge Iron

Fence/Handrail

Double Y

This is 43 feet of fence/handrail.  This borders a driveway.  The client is 95 years young and walks down to get the paper and mail everyday.  He wanted something sturdy to hold on to.

The fence is installed at 38 inches high.  The run is 512 inches long and dropped 106 inches over that run.

The pickets are 6" on center.  The top rail is 1" x 2" square tube, 1/2" rings 5 1/2" diameter, second rail is 3/8" x 1 1/2", bottom rail is 1/2" x 1 1/2" channel, pickets are 1/2" tube.

Entire works is satin black powder coated with a hammered finish.  Fasteners are stainless steel self tapping screws.

The scrolls are hand forged and designed to mimic similar scrolls on a deck railing above the car port.

All installed on a cool and rainy day!

I use Quikcrete for the posts.  I dump dry mix in the hole, add water and stir.  Do any of you use a similar method?

Comments and thoughts are appreciated.

JL

20160904_155356.jpg

20160904_155412.jpg

20160904_155430.jpg

Very nice work. I like it a lot.

When ever I put in posts, either metal or wood, I try to get the concrete to drain and not form a pocket pool. I usually put post in the hole, place a few inches of stone around the bottom and then add the concrete around the sides. This way any moisture that makes its way down the side of the post can get out an not sit against the post. I am sure the coating provides some protection for the post but I try have some barrier to concrete contact. Bare wood or metal seems to fail quicker when in contact with concrete. 

1 hour ago, Double Y said:

I set up a jig for the slope so they were exactly the same.  The bottom rail is prepunched channel.  The holes had to be enlarged to compensate for the racking as well.  The sections are bolted to the posts with self tapping screws.

What was the build time per section?

Did you have to build one  section or were you able mock up and go straight to jig?

I pretty much had the shop math worked out on the layout table and went straight to the jig.  It wasn't horribly complicated, just had to figure out what I needed the whole works to be.

I had a pile of supplies ready to roll.  I cut the pickets as I needed them.

Time per section is a bit harder to calculate.  Pretty much an hour of cutting, fitting and welding for the pickets.  The scrolls took longer of course, as they had to be individually fit.