I Forge Iron

Firebrick and kaowool

I am, I've researched a bunch, just trying to find if there is any place local in Alaska to pick up some of the supplies as shipping is outrageous up here, I was actually hoping frosty would chime in on places!! Also if you see this frosty I would love to come watch you work sometime!

Welcome and good luck with your project!

btw, stick that town, state in your user profile so us old coots don't have an excuse to not know which coast (or which side of which pond) folks are located.  Material, supplies & tools can be location dependent.

Welcome aboard Neckbone, glad to have you. EJ BArtells in Anchorage is the closest place to get soft insulating fire brick or Kaowool. They've moved about half a block on a side street just across the Old Seward Hwy from AIH. A search should get you the new address. They were recently bought out and the name's changed but they still show up in searches using "E.J. Bartell" for the terms.

When you stop in tell them you're with the Association of Alaskan Blacksmiths, they give us a nice discount. The club's next meeting is Saturday, Sept 24 at Pat Garley's, "Arctic Fires Bronze" in Palmer. You should make the meeting, meet some of the guys play with fire and hit things with hammers.

Where are you in Wasilla? I'm on Vine Rd. PM me we'll get together, I've made a forge or two.

Frosty The Lucky.