I Forge Iron

Updated wood forge

MrVader

I made a few minor adjustments to my wood fired forge. Lowered the work space hole and covered the outside in some good ol Mississippi mud. Vast improvement on heat retention and the time required to heat the material to workable temps. Cut some dead trees that were about 3" across into 3" sections and split in half. Put into the top and as they burned, turned to charcoal and dropped the bottom. The "air grate" at the bottom (normal bricks with 3 holes) fed air from the bottom to keep the coal bed scorching hot. Heats up a file to almost yellow in about 5 minutes when the forge is hot. Only major downside is the amount of fuel the forge consumes. I added two rows of brick at the top to narrow the opening to retain more heat and without as much heat and air escaping from the top, it did cut down on the amount used. I used roughly 2-3 five gallon buckets of wood last night in a 2 hour period vs 3-4 buckets when I first built the forge.

IMG_20160831_183736969.jpg

IMG_20160831_184826321.jpg

IMG_20160831_190455987.jpg

IMG_20160831_192713474.jpg

IMG_20160831_190942725.jpg

FB_IMG_1472692972899.jpg

MrVader, as I said before I am impressed with your build....I have a wood stove for heat and find I have better control of fuel consumption and heat, when I control the amount of intake air. Rather than trying to damper the flue. Try to block off the air inlet at the bottom some between heats. Just a suggestion...            Life is Good             Dave

4 minutes ago, Dave51B said:

MrVader, as I said before I am impressed with your build....I have a wood stove for heat and find I have better control of fuel consumption and heat, when I control the amount of intake air. Rather than trying to damper the flue. Try to block off the air inlet at the bottom some between heats. Just a suggestion...            Life is Good             Dave

I have a brick that fits perfectly over my air intake the bottom that I use to damper it when I don't need the excess heat. Especially handy when the wind shifts directions and is blowing directly into the hole lol

4 minutes ago, MrVader said:

I have a brick that fits perfectly over my air intake the bottom that I use to damper it when I don't need the excess heat. Especially handy when the wind shifts directions and is blowing directly into the hole lol

I figured that post was a little to obvious, LOL   Carry on......yer doin' great                  Dave