I Forge Iron

Found A Swage Block Today...ID? Age? Name?

b4utoo

That's a great find! These are often not marked, Usually they have more holes in the body of the block.  My guess would be its either a one off, with a solid middle section for some specific purpose or its an error, where some apprentice went to lunch and didn't finish adding the cores for the remaining holes in the pattern.

Either way, a nice block to have on the West Coast, Especially SoCal, not exactly the magnetic anomaly you get in the midwest.

He was asking 300. But got it for 180....

I like the apprentice went to lunch theory lol

Well maybe if I keep it. I can always add a pattern if I need it.

And if anything I made another connection for anvils etc...

Very nice find.  I've never understood why blocks weren't marked like anvils since marking anvils was pretty common during the later years.

Yours was probably designed with a minimum number of holes because a lot of holes aren't handy for a lot of the trades that were prevalent back then.  One of the reasons I've never picked up a block was because they usually have far too many holes and not enough depressions for sinking bowls and the like.  You've definitely got a winner on your hands and I hope you have many happy years together.

Well this is my first swage block find...(buying).  They usually want more for them than anvils around here...if you can find them. I usually only keep what I use the most. So will see how this one goes...I tend to keep the favorites and when someone comes around I might sell or barter something away. This is definately different from the ones I usually see. So I had to ask you all about it. I know what you mean. I do see some that look like swiss cheese meets old samity sam