I Forge Iron

Hello from northern MN

Just a bit to introduce myself, I am a welder fabricator who wants to learn the blacksmithing trade, to enhance the services I offer my clients.

Over the last several years I have had many requests to add forged elements into projects and beyond doing hammered finishes I have not had the skills or equipment to do much.

Right now going into the buildup before the holiday season I figure that it is time to start learning so I can incorporate some of these things in my designs.

Tonight I learned the term ArcSmithing and that is the type of work I will be doing.

Last week I got a nice PeterWright 143lb anvil, hammers I have but need to add tongs of all types and a forge, researching how to build a forge is what brought me here. I was going to build a simple brake drum forge but my reading has lead me to believe that I should build a better one so as not to be disappointed in my results.

I'm sure that I will ask many stupid questions and get flamed for it but no one comes into this world with skills, we all learn them at some point.

Welcome!

Take some time to read as thoroughly as you can before asking questions. Chances are good that most of the basic ones have been answered already, and you will definitely win yourself some points here by asking thoughtful ones!

Build a brake drum forge or the side blast version of the 55 Forge. This will get you started playing in fire. You can then research and find there is no perfect forge for every application. So build a second forge to produce a second type (style) of heat or what you believe to be the perfect forge. Then modify it to fit your needs. (grin)

Hint: Small projects use a small forge, large projects use a large forge. Nothing wrong with having more than one forge.

10 minutes ago, Glenn said:

Build a brake drum forge or the side blast version of the 55 Forge. This will get you started playing in fire. You can then research and find there is no perfect forge for every application. So build a second forge to produce a second type (style) of heat or what you believe to be the perfect forge. Then modify it to fit your needs. (grin)

Hint: Small projects use a small forge, large projects use a large forge. Nothing wrong with having more than one forge.

At some point I will build another one, for right now I have a very nice old welding table that has a 1/4 top 24x48 on a heavy base that will hold a fire pot  9x13" perfectly.

The brake drum I have is 13" dia and will need a bit of modification to sit down in a hole, much easier for me at least to cut up some scrap 3/8 or 1/2" plate and make one.

31 minutes ago, JHCC said:

Welcome!

Take some time to read as thoroughly as you can before asking questions. Chances are good that most of the basic ones have been answered already, and you will definitely win yourself some points here by asking thoughtful ones!

Thanks for the welcome, I always try and read and search topics before asking a question, I am very well aware of how tiring it can be to answer the same questions over and over.

Welcome aboard, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many Iforge folk live within visiting distance.

Ah, you won't get flamed for asking questions, it takes extreme provocation to catch any fire.

Reading the applicable sections of the archived posts here will get you started on the subject and give you a handle on the craft jargon so you can ask good questions and understand the answers. It's like any craft but this one's learning curve is longer and higher than any of us will live.

We're all pretty well aware nobody is born knowing this stuff, we all had to get started you know. ;)

Frosty The Lucky.