I Forge Iron

Buying new anvil. Kohlswa or Ridgid Peddinghaus

Hi.

First post here.. :)

I am about to purchase a new anvil. This is mostly just for my own pleasure, and making knifes, swords and shop tools.

The Kohlswa anvil I am looking at is the F84 type.

What I was most "concerned" about, is the notion or concensus is that Forged is better then Cast.

Your thoughts on the matter?

I bought a new Peddinghaus a few years ago and it came from the factory with a chamfer ground around all the edges. I ground most of it out when radiusing the edges but I wanted a few places with a smaller radius and sharp edges than I was not able do because of the chamfer. It does not effect the general use of the anvil but I was quite disappointed with it. I would not buy another Peddinghaus I would find something where they let the buyer decide what treatment to give to the edges.

I have been extremely happy with the two Swedish anvils I have.  It's really a matter of personal preference, but I would take a Swedish anvil before all others.  As for forge vs cast, not much difference that I've found, it's all in the type of steel, the heat treatment and quality of manufacturing.

Personally I'm a HUGE fan of cast Swedish steel anvils I've owned a 125lb. Soderfors for a long time and I've never used better. Modern cast steel is at least as good for anvils as any of the forged ones. It's kind of refreshing to see someone looking for a hornless anvil, I looked up the F84 series, we'd call that a "sawyer's anvil" in the states but that's here. It looks like a sweet anvil. What weight are you looking for?

Frosty The Lucky.

Oh yeah, 150kg is tempting indeed but, BUT 200kg.:wub: is, is . . . Oooh anvil envy is making me swoon! Be still my heart.

I'd think the 70kg is a sweet weight, not too heavy to move around but heavy enough to be good and stable, the 49kg. is a good weight though, not too small for all but heavy forging. My Soderfors is 125lbs. and it does all I've ever asked of it without flinching.

What kind of stand are you thinking of for your anvil? I put my Soderfors on a steel tripod for a couple reasons but mainly it quieted it down to tolerable. On a wooden block a missed blow would make my ears ring through ear plugs AND muffs together, now I can work it without ear protection if I'm careful not to miss.

Frosty The Lucky.

Matto: pricier then the other.

Also, I am in contact with a machining firm, to take a round stock, of 5-8" of 4140 or 4340, cut it to length, roughly 100-150lbs and heat treatment it. I am waiting for a reply on price. My thinking is, my main use will be for knives, and shop tools. That way, I would only need a very small face to hammer on, and all the weight would be directly below the anvils face. Not out to the sides, or in the horns.