I Forge Iron

First attempt

Biker Bo

Hey all. This is my first attempt at forge welding. It was an old chocker cable and thanks to information on this and other sites I think it came pretty good. I made my forge using a frosty t burner .it took a while but I finally got it to 1960°  at 13 PSI. Any can't wait to start making a knife out of it . Thanks for all the great information .

IMG_20160806_121313523.jpg

IMG_20160806_121300826.jpg

18 hours ago, Biker Bo said:

Any advice from what you see. Did I hammer it too much ? 

Thanks .

My advice would be shoes and long pants during your next forging session. Or a least some heat resistant nail polish.:P    he he      Dave 

You can Consolidate the bar more and make it more like a billet that will take more heats and alot more hammering to draw the bar out. Unless you are using part of that barstock as a handle in that form and consolidate part of it as the blade.

I thought about cutting and folding it after I grind all the decarb off .

I've read that you begin to lose the detail of the cable if fold it . 

The bar stock is not part of knife .  If  I shorten my forge I might be able to get to 2300 ° . I will need to remove the square stock handle and use my tongs 

This has been a learning  experience and a lot of fun. 

I started making knives in about 83 but it was all stock removal and then send then in for H.T. .

Thanks to net I've found a lot of information on forging . Have to say that heat treating my own and learning to forge has brought out a new passion for knife making. 

Not liking the toenail polish.......  . Guess I need something more blacksmity:lol: 

I have some band mill blade thats from a sawmill. It's 15n20 and ,072  . If I stack a couple of pieces in between and I can 2300° it might look pretty good. 

Eventually after many folds it will become a homogenized bar, I did 2 such cut and folds or was it 3 and ended up with a wood grain type pattern in the cable. But yea the cable should be real clean to do it.