I Forge Iron

Charcoal burning green

So I fired up my forge with a fresh batch of charcoal the other day.

After some time, I noticed that some of the flames had a slight hint of green. It was fairly obvious, as it was after dark, so I'm fairly sure I that I really did see a green flame.

I know that some chemicals can cause green flames (I think I've heard that Borax can cause green flames).

Is charcoal supposed to give off that color, or is it an indication of bad quality charcoal?

I strongly suggested that you consider contacting the charcoal seller and manufacturer. Selling arsenical contaminated material is illegal. It is definitely a health hazard. (arsenic ingestion has been implicated in numerous types of cancers. Copper is also toxic. Your inquiry should  elicit alarm bells, with them. Even if they offer excuses to you. If they are not responsive or do not seem to care, make your concerns known to the Federal health people. ( I do not know what they are officially called in Denmark). Chromated copper acetate is probably banned in the E. C., & Denmark, and has been so for a long time.

Saving some of the charcoal, in question, is a good move. Some of these folks may wish to have it analyzed.

Regards, to all.

SLAG.

1 hour ago, SLAG said:

I strongly suggested that you consider contacting the charcoal seller and manufacturer. Selling arsenical contaminated material is illegal. It is definitely a health hazard. (arsenic ingestion has been implicated in numerous types of cancers. Copper is also toxic. Your inquiry should  elicit alarm bells, with them. Even if they offer excuses to you. If they are not responsive or do not seem to care, make your concerns known to the Federal health people. ( I do not know what they are officially called in Denmark). Chromated copper acetate is probably banned in the E. C., & Denmark, and has been so for a long time.

Saving some of the charcoal, in question, is a good move. Some of these folks may wish to have it analyzed.

Regards, to all.

SLAG.

I do plan to give them a call tomorrow. Surely, colored fire is caused by chemicals. If there's a chance their harmful, they should be recalled. Already put the bag aside for later.

1 hour ago, ThomasPowers said:

Hopefully it's not CCA, I don't know how popular CCA was in Europe compared to the USA; seawater can also cause wood to burn with differing colours; could it have been caused by that?

You're right, hopefully it's not CCA. I did some research and found quite a few chemicals that can cause green flames:

• thallium compounds
  • antimony compounds
  • barium compounds
  • manganese(II) compounds
  • molybdenum compounds
  • ammonium compounds
  • phosphates moistened with sulfuric acid
  • borax
  • copper sulfate
  • boric acid
  •  

Ref: http://chemistry.about.com/od/firecombustionchemistry/fl/What-Chemical-Turns-Fire-Green.htm

Sodium = yellow,  Copper = green,  potassium= purpleish, iron-= whitish.  Lots of great colors from the metals in solutions.  It could be nothing but since CCA was common, I'd be a little hesitant. Arsenic adds a little blue so with the rest of the stuff, you'd probably see it as greenish also.   Google image search for burning metal flame colors has some pretty cool photos in case anyone is interested in the subject.

ap,550x550,12x16,1,transparent,t.u4.png