I Forge Iron

Walnut and Steel Coffee Table

swedgemon

About 20 years ago when I lived in Kentucky I was cutting down several dead trees behind my shop for firewood.  I had dropped this standing dead tree and was cutting it up with the chainsaw when suddenly I realized "this is walnut, you idiot"!!  Since no one was near enough to hear and confirm my mental state, I rolled the sections to my shop, ripped them into planks and assembled the top of the table, as shown. It's 25 X 37 X 17 and the top is 1 3/4" thick.  There's Early American Minwax stain and a few coats of polurethane on the wood.  The legs are textured 3/4" round, upset on the bottoms and bent to shape with a rosebud and no small amount of foul language.  The wraps are 22" of 1/4 round, tapered at each end and given a few random twists and turns.  Metal finish is wire brushed with a few coats of clear satin acrylic.  Note: this table is one heavy sucker !!

The candle stand just happened to be in the closer photo of the legs...it was 3/4 X 2 X 5 to start, pounded out on a Striker 40 kg...I always make things in "2's", so when I mess one up, I still have at least one - the mate to this one met a sad end when the leaf snapped off the stem when I was stretching it out.

DSCF9616.JPG

DSCF9716.JPG

Lovely table and good catch!  I've picked up bodark that way and made some hammer handles but mainly used as a dye for my wife's spinning.

My college roommate's parents' house was framed in rough cut black walnut; country folk on the farm and it was a handy tree....