I Forge Iron

Restoring a hammer head

Cross pein sledge hammers are not that rare; I bought a new 16 pound crosspein from Airco welding supply in 1982.

That is not a single hand hammer. It needs a long handle. What you have now is junk, keep slicing.  

23 hours ago, Smoggy said:

Goerge, from what I can see from the photo, I'd be tempted to grind the edges back to good and maybe settle for a rounded face, or if it's worse than I think it is.....is a straight pien an option?

Haha, that'd certainly be an interesting way to go... If it were anything but an Atha hammer, I'd probably do just that!

27 minutes ago, arftist said:

Cross pein sledge hammers are not that rare; I bought a new 16 pound crosspein from Airco welding supply in 1982.

That is not a single hand hammer. It needs a long handle. What you have now is junk, keep slicing.  

Cross pein sledge hammers may not be rare, but Atha hammers are, and I've never seen an Atha cross pein sledge before. If it had had any other stamp on it, I would never have bothered picking it up to begin with. It's not junk, but it's not really usable either... I guess it's more of a prestige piece at this point...

I finally found my stove black, I'll get a handle on it today, and share a picture or two of the finished product...

At times yes.  Definitely warm up first and only do the mega whomp for a short while but sometimes you just need the extra umph to make a project progress.  I expect I will cease to do that as I get the powerhammer(s) running or get a new apprentice to strike (or hold while I strike) for me.

Same can be said of your keyboard for that matter.  I only use it judiciously and so far am doing OK with 35 years of smithing; I hope things will hold together long enough for me to get in another 15 or so years.  I definitely don't recommend it for folks who have not learned hammer control and have not built up to using a heavy hammer.

On the other hand I've talked with CCC guys who were using a 32# sledge breaking rocks doing a 12 hour day putting a road through the mountains.  Two handed of course and they lasted long enough for me to sit with them and listen.

3 hours ago, JHCC said:

It's not a hammer; it's a bi-directional, mono-manually activated, lever-actuated impact generator. 

i prefer to think of it as a persuader. It politely asks the steel if it would like to move. :P

It's really not all that bad to swing, actually... Sure, I'm not gonna be doing it all day, but the beauty of a big hammer is, you don't need to :P