I Forge Iron

Help with anvil ID

I just bought this anvil I came cross just as I was leaving for vacation off an older farmer type guy. Has good rebound and ring and looks to be in pretty decent shape. The old guy said his dad bought it in the states in the 20s and has been told it is solid steel. Anyone able to provide any more info on what it might be?

IMG_20160628_093140.jpg

IMG_20160628_093112.jpg

looks like a farriers anvil. its a solerfords, frosty will be here soon to tell you how good they are, just wait. He'll also tell you to where ear muffs as they are really loud.

Littleblacksmith

OH YEAH that's a good anvil! Cast Swedish steel, Soderfors are about as good as it gets and 130lbs. is an excellent size. Small enough to move without killing yourself and heavy enough to do some serious forging on. Wear ear protection, a missed blow will ring your ears but good. Just a couple would make my ears ring through muffs and plugs, especially on the heal or horn.

I built a steel tripod stand for mine and will never go back to wood. They quieted both my anvils down to bearable levels, they're stable on most any terrain, let me work really close when I want to and are easy to move.

Frosty The Lucky.

Cool glad to hear it. Thanks for the information guys. Paid $2.70/lb (canadian) for it and seemed like a good deal. It has a bit of chipping on one side where most of the work seemed to have been done on it but that seems pretty common for these anvils reading about them now that I know what it is.

Don't worry about the chisel marks and do NOT use the step as a chisel plate. Make a saddle or just keep a piece of plate as a sacrificial cutting plate. It's not so much to protect your anvil as your chisels.

The chipped edge looks like someone ham handed used it and missed on the edge swinging way hard or a big hammer. I'd just stay away from the chipped area and radius it with a disk grinder. Do NOT get carried away Cast steel anvils have a rep of chipping on the edges radiusing them helps. prevent damage AND improves the tool so you can set shoulders without  including cold shuts. (B-A-D things cold shuts!)

Mount that fine lady up and put her to work, you'll be in love in no time. :wub:

Frosty The Lucky.