I Forge Iron

My Hybrid Burner

besserheimerphat

She looks to be burning nicely. How's it work in the forge?

I hope I don't hijack your thread but the following might be helpful.

Part of the menu of similar videos that popped up when I watched yours was one by the "Backyard Blacksmith" about the T burners he built. I think he has about the best one I've seen. He covered the important points and built several NICE burners.

Frosty The Lucky.

I didn't have a question, it seemed to be working really well. I know I've seen questions about them around, so I figured I'd post a video just so people could see what they look like when running. Youtube has lots of videos of homemade burners, but I had only seen one other video of a Hybrid Burner and it only showed the flame - no views of the choke, no description of which burner it was, no info about the gas pressure, etc.

Frosty - I haven't had time to get the ITC coating in my forge yet. Hopefully this weekend I can get a couple coats done. After that I'm going to play with it for a while and see if I can get to welding temps (not that I'm ready to forge weld yet...). If you recall, my forge was built from a 30lb propane tank so my volume-to-burner ratio is nearly double the rule of thumb for forge welding. It's about 600 in3 and I just have the one 3/4" T-Rex burner. I'm confident I'll be able to get hot enough to move metal, but if I can't get it to weld temps I'll probably start down the path of building a second burner. Unfortunately I don't have access to machining equipment so I'll have to use a design that incorporates a weld tip - I don't want to try and drill small precision holes with my 14V cordless drill... :rolleyes:

Why do you need so large a forge? It's a common mistake folk make as beginners to think they need a LOT more forge than they'll ever use. Have you seen MY shop forge for example? If it doesn't get hot enough jus put another layer of ceramic blanket in it.

What are you going to wash it with before you use the ITC-1oo? The ITC won't harden or toughen the liner it's only efficiently resistant to heat and fluxes. Even if you rigidize the blanket with sodium silicate it's still vulnerable to poking, scraping, etc. especially at forging temps. Wayne Coe sells small quantities of good quality products to help armor your forge.

Surely you KNOW someone with a drill press don't you? If not look into building a "Side Arm" burner those ALMOST screw together from off the shelf parts.

If you're going to build one like a "Hybrid" download a set of Mike's burner plans, he taught Rex to make burners and Mike's are easier to build. You WILL need adequate shop skills though. Ever think of taking a college extension course? If for no other reason it'll give you access to a metal and or machine shop and expert advice.

Frosty The Lucky.

On 6/16/2016 at 0:48 PM, Frosty said:

Why do you need so large a forge? It's a common mistake folk make as beginners to think they need a LOT more forge than they'll ever use. Have you seen MY shop forge for example? If it doesn't get hot enough jus put another layer of ceramic blanket in it.

What are you going to wash it with before you use the ITC-1oo? The ITC won't harden or toughen the liner it's only efficiently resistant to heat and fluxes. Even if you rigidize the blanket with sodium silicate it's still vulnerable to poking, scraping, etc. especially at forging temps. Wayne Coe sells small quantities of good quality products to help armor your forge.

Surely you KNOW someone with a drill press don't you? If not look into building a "Side Arm" burner those ALMOST screw together from off the shelf parts.

If you're going to build one like a "Hybrid" download a set of Mike's burner plans, he taught Rex to make burners and Mike's are easier to build. You WILL need adequate shop skills though. Ever think of taking a college extension course? If for no other reason it'll give you access to a metal and or machine shop and expert advice.

Frosty The Lucky.

I don't need that large a forge. I found a guy that had a lot of scrap propane tanks that I could have for free in a town about 20 miles away. My wife was going there the next day anyway so I asked her to pick one up for me, telling her to get one the same size as what's under the bbq. She picked up a 30lb tank instead of a 20lb tank.

On 6/16/2016 at 0:00 PM, Mikey98118 said:

All the best burner designs, (including Hybrid burners) use MIG contact tips, or some other means, like dispenser needles, of easily changing out gas jets. Drilling holes are completely out of date.

A drill press for drilling and tapping the holes in the T so the fittings and mig tips are as perfectly aligned as possible Mike. I could've worded that more clearly eh?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can reduce the volume in a couple ways, I just try to keep folk from making the same beginner mistakes I did. I'm so proud of my mistakes, I like to share them with others. :rolleyes:

Frosty The Lucky,