I Forge Iron

Old unusual anvil, unknown manufacturer and age

Hi.  Have recently bought this anvil in the UK from an old collector who couldn't recall any specific history.  I'm looking to find out any details in terms likely manufacturer or age.  I chose this one because of the unusually wide face compared to the length.  The position of the pritchel hole is also unusual bring adjacent to the hidden rather than the heel with what seems to be a cast slot running down the side of the anvil.  The heel is interesting and is a separate component which can clearly be seen to have been welded on somehow.  The metal of the heel contains the hardie hole plus is of a much smoother and harder metal type.  The heel has a better ring when struck than the main face too so I wonder if it was manufactured like this or is a later high quality repair.  Finally, the face seems to show signs of being a thick plate added separately during manufacture.  The anvil has been outside for some time and unfortunately I can't see any weight marks or stamps of any kind.  Has anyone seen an anvil liked this before, or have any idea of age or manufacturer?  I would expect it to be British from what the collector said.  I estimate it to weigh somewhere in the region of 1.5-2cwt.  Thanks

IMG_20160611_145150.jpg

IMG_20160611_145237.jpg

IMG_20160611_145319.jpg

IMG_20160611_145200.jpg

IMG_20160611_145249.jpg

It appears as if the heel was broken off at some point in its life, and a replacement piece was welded back on.  You can see some of the weld seam in your first and third pictures.  It appears to be English made, probably early 18th century.  That is all I can add.

The base/body for older English anvils were typically made in in 7 pieces; the body, the heel, the horn and the 4 feet. The top plate was usually made of several pieces, on smaller anvils such as yours there were 3 plates. All of this was forge welded together. The lines you see under the heel and on the top are probably where the pieces were attached. I believe your anvil is all original and altho the pritchel hole is uncommon I have seen several with that wide face configuration. Maybe when Thomas Powers wades in he can tell us what the purpose of the location of the pritchel was for? Nice anvil!

Many thanks for comments so far.  I did wonder if the heel was a separate fitment at manufacture, but what I find interesting is that on closer inspection the metal of the heel underside matches the main body (colour and texture) but the top and sides of the heel appear to be very hard and smooth and different colour.  I wondered if the heel has been deliberately plated in hardened metal just like the face.  And the heel does ring more that the middle face.  I've seen similar anvils made by John Powell of Birmingham UK.  Could this be one?

You are correct, the whole top of the anvil is a tool steel or as it was called back then, a crucible steel top so it should ring and the heel usually does ring louder on most good quality wrought or cast steel anvils. I really can't tell you who might have made your anvil because there were scores of anvil manufacturers in old England. perhaps some of our British IFI members can help with the ID?

I meant to say the whole top plate is tool steel. Itshould be about 1/2in or 1.5cm thick. The rest is wrought iron usually made by the manufacturer in the process of making the anvil. I'm assuming that most English anvil makers purchased their crucible steel from the "continent" (Sweden?)

• 3 years later...
On 6/12/2016 at 6:31 AM, starchaser said:

Many thanks for comments so far.  I did wonder if the heel was a separate fitment at manufacture, but what I find interesting is that on closer inspection the metal of the heel underside matches the main body (colour and texture) but the top and sides of the heel appear to be very hard and smooth and different colour.  I wondered if the heel has been deliberately plated in hardened metal just like the face.  And the heel does ring more that the middle face.  I've seen similar anvils made by John Powell of Birmingham UK.  Could this be one?

Nice, odd. French? I like how pug it is. It does not look like my John Powell or the 2 other JPs I have seen, but I have been having a hard time finding information about Powell and his anvils. Do you know of where one might find information outside of purchasing Anvils in America? Where did you find your info?

I have seen your style elsewhere but I am not sure what it is. If you can find a copy of Anvils in America by richard postman, or want to purchse one, it would have a lot to say. Thanks for any help and I hope you find more info.

4oDmWRD2QmO3DNKvjDriOw.jpg

7vZJj3rASY+B89XaplnQHQ.jpg

RkqPSvyiQaSnQ0ZO6lN20g.jpg

Seen ones on the front before, but it's an interesting choice.  Hey, I have a place where I can put the pritchell, and stuff will just fall out.  No. that's too easy.  I'm going to put it in the front, and cut out a channel. 

It's old enough to not have a step. Maybe it was added by a smith, not factory original? Not completely unheard of.

The step is a design feature that later anvils could have or not depending on the style of anvil being made.  Personally I think it's fairly old; but not based on the step.

While the London Pattern includes a step, the Birmingham Pattern doesn't for instance.