I Forge Iron

Anvil value Identification

Hi - I inherited this anvil and thought I would try blacksmithing but just no time with work these days so wanted to identify its characteristics so I could establish a value for a reasonable sale.  As the pictures will show it is a Hay Budden, measures 21.5" x 8.5 x 3.5 wide, but I can't tell the weight or its age.  If someone could comment I'd very much appreciate your knowledge.  My pictures show the impressions on the anvil and then with flour rubbed into it to try to expose more of the impressions.  Any help is appreciated!  Thanks Deb!

IMG_1130.thumb.JPG.21de698d5a41130659d80IMG_1141.thumb.JPG.b3da4023ce09c88d87379IMG_1140.thumb.JPG.e078bfbb45040f78dbb74IMG_1132.thumb.JPG.d06502679252a2660ad9cIMG_1142.thumb.JPG.dbbe5c310b40fc3762890IMG_1143.thumb.JPG.3f8a5084120f5d7526af6IMG_1146.thumb.JPG.5f007f3099b4c767d1a8f
IMG_1138.thumb.JPG.9503a0063e81455a5a798

IMG_1138.JPG

IMG_1131.JPG

IMG_1139.JPG

IMG_1139.JPG

IMG_1140.JPG

IMG_1141.JPG

IMG_1142.JPG

IMG_1143.JPG

IMG_1146.JPG

It looks like it is 88 pounds, but a bathroom scale will let you know for sure.

As to value. It will depend on where you are located, and overall condition. The maker is a well known one that is regarded as a good brand. The top plate has some issues, so it wouldn't bring top dollar, but it is definitely usable as is.  88# also isn't that big, I figure that 125# is about minimum for a general shop size.

Here in the States anvils usually go by price per pound. In the UK they just get a price put on them. I pay $1 a pound, others pay $3+ so I can't give you a set price. 

You mentioned that you inherited the anvil. Are here no other relatives that may like to have it? Even though you may not have time now, you may in the future. I wouldn't be so quick to sell it.

Good info, thank you! I can barely move it so 88 sounds right vs for example 188. At a $1 a pound I'd keep it for at least a conversation piece, if it brought $400-500 then I guess I would sell.  And no, no one was interested in it.  Any guesses on age based on the serial number, so I can chat intelligently about it? Looks like a 156xxx I think maybe,... Really like that it is stamped. The top plate is quite rounded, but I wouldn't know good from bad.  Thanks for your input. It's been holding up the floor in y bedroom for a few years.

Price or value is strongly influenced by location. Its in OK condition, not great but usable. Here in NM where there aren't a lot of decent anvils you might get $250 for it. In Ohio or locations where avils grow on trees you probably won't get as much.  That being said prices have been going up due to the shows on cable TV about knife and gun making. There are many new aspirants to blacksmithing that will pay a lot for any anvil so the best suggestion is to simply advertise it at a price you want to sell it for and see what happens.

Best of luck.

1 hour ago, DebM11 said:

Thanks good points I may try a Craigslist ad. I'm in Maryland so Ohio could be reasonable to drive, but mine could be a lot more local for so many. 

Well, I'm smack dab in the middle of the state of Maryland USA, and I troll craigslist every day or so. There's been an old english looking anvil on there for a few weeks, looks like 100lbs and priced at 500 USD. Generally the prices are around $2 USD or $3USD for a good anvil. Smaller isn't better around here, it seems. Philiadelphia is close by, and they usually have outrageously expensive anvils for sale on that CL, Pittsburgh has cheaper (around 1.50-$2/lbs) In Baltimore, you're likely to get $3 a pound if you market it right, especially if you are in the city or just south. I don't look much on southern MD, but it seems to be a pretty scarce place to find anvils. 

The stamping  is a good sign, and will help it sell. Let me know if you need any help with this anvil; like I said, I'm in Frederick county. 

-ridgewayforge

If it has good rebound, $250 should result in a reasonably quick sale. At $350 you might end up listing it for a while. $500 is mostly wishful thinking for a user as a new, good anvil can be had at that price.