I Forge Iron

dog bone arms spencer tire hammer

I like the jig you show.  And the some of my uncertainties would apply to that pn 37 ,but the "dog bone " I refer to is the link weldment pn 211.

It uses 1"x11/2"I sch80 pipe and an oilite bearing the same as pn37 .I presume the ends of the 11/2" pieces would be squared in the lathe before welding. But can the pipe ends be bored square to the sides after welding? The oilite bearings I find at MSC are .0753 inside .Is this 3 thou. a standard clearance for a 3/4 pin? The plans say to press bearing in and then ream to .750" . Shared insight appreciated.

Unless you made a jig to weld the inside diameter perpendicular to the dog bone arm squaring the end of the pipe up before welding would be the best way to keep it square. You make the PN 37 and dog bone weldment basically the same, couldn't find a picture of my dog bone. As for the bearings I don't know much about that, I've just been following the plans pretty closely on the movable parts. Once I drilled and reamed the dog bone pressing in the bearing was simple, I was surprised at how little material was removed when I reamed the bearings to .75 on a drill press. 

I squared the pipe on a mini mill with a long cutter and I did everything else on the drill press.

I used a 1-inch holesaw to ream the pipe out to final size after I assembled the arm. Then used my post vise as a press to push the oilite bearing into the pipe. It's tight, but it does fit. 

I have no milling equipment so I used a drill press for the drilling, a bandsaw for cutting, and a belt grinder for cleaning up the ends. If you have access to milling equipment, that's great.....if not, it isn't the end of the world. Close does work. 

Well I have no milling machine access but can use a friends lathe for squaring the ends of the pipe.  F.furn why did you choose to use a hole saw rather than a drill bit? After pressing the bearing in did the pins fit properly or require reaming ?