I Forge Iron

Size and pressure

Coalforge

What size cylinders and what pressures are you folks that have a hydraulic press running?  I currently have a H frame that runs a 5" cylinder at 2000 psi. The frame flexes at full pressure. I am looking at building a narrow throat C frame press and trying to figure out if I am better off using the cylinder and power supply I have or looking for something different.    Thanks

how much experience do you have of designing such things, if your frame is flexing then you are putting too much force on it.

on a H frame that is bad, on a C frame it can be deadly.

I measure deformation with a dial gauge when testing a press and test it to above working pressure, think it was 35 years ago I made my first one, sold it a couple of weeks ago.

have worked at pressures up to 900 bar and cylinder diameters of up to 18 inches in the past ( but not at the same time ) and yes that is 900 times 15 psi aprox

I acquired the H frame press in a trade. Whoever built it used 1/4 by 8" channel iron and bolted it together.  I got it primarily for the components and knew it would not stay in the form I received it. I have heavy I beam to make a press but I was wondering what people were using for a general shop press.  I have used it to form drop handles and to hot form 1/4" plate into candle holders. I want to build a solid press before I try much more with it. I am not a knifemaker but I can see using a press with pattern dies occasionally.