I Forge Iron

what about holding stock?

I understand that when swinging a hammer with your thumb parallel or on to p of the handle is bad. so what about when holding stock? its not under as much "stress"(if that's the correct  word) as your hammer hand so maybe no?

Littleblacksmith

Good question, I haven't heard it before. What can cause so much damage laying your thumb on top of the hammer handle is how the rebound shock of impact can be conducted straight up your thumb through your wrist into your arm and on up. It can cause soft tissue damage over time.

The force of impact and rebound in the material you're hitting is different and so not nearly the shock gets conducted into your hand and up your skeleton. This said I think you'd be better off NOT laying your thumb on top of the stock. I haven't given it a try myself and can't recall anyone talking about thumb position in the holding hand so I can't say from experience. If I'm going to make a guess, Even an educated guess I'm making a conservative one, better safe than sorry.

Frosty The Lucky.

21 hours ago, littleblacksmith said:

I understand that when swinging a hammer with your thumb parallel or on top of the handle is bad.

Littleblacksmith

As opposed to what ?

It's good to remember, that there's always somebody, ... somewhere, ... saying something.  :rolleyes:

Being a dullard, I tend to let most of that kind of information just wash right over me, without making much of an impression.  ;)

I thought this was a question about taxable assets.

That not being the case, I will offer that you will quickly find the "right" way of holding your stock; it's the way that causes least or no pain, for me that means holding stock very lightly and cautiously. Also, holding stock in tongs will ameliorate many of the shocking feelings one experiences in life.