I Forge Iron

Black Jack by Hay Budden

So I got a copy of Mr. Postman's book. I was searching for the Black Jack brand but nothing came to light. I also looked in the index but no such thing. I recalled someone on this site that Hay Budden made them. I thought that odd and dismissed it but thought it's worth a try. Reading about the Brooklyn NY manufacturer, I did come across a list  of brands made by HB, and there it was. Not much to say other than it says Keen Cutter Black Jack. I have no idea what that is in reference to but my anvil says Black Jack. The hardware store was in St Lewis and it has a name I cannot recall at the moment..........

That was about it. Went on to say these hardware stores decided to market the HB brand and not their own as the anvils were that good. Except for Sears Roebuck and Montgomery Wards.  They have really big heads and wanted to market their own name.

The three manufacturing styles of HB was a new read for me with the original, heavy top and then the all steel top half. I didn't know that. I know mine is a welded 1/4 steel plate so book says about 1900 era.

BSing stuff 003.jpg

Blackjack is a fairly common Hay Budden anvil as are Lakesides and Acmes. I don't know that the retailers had "big heads" it just they had a line of products with their names they sold whether it was anvils or screw drivers. All 3 of the American wrought iron anvil manufacturers made anvils for different concerns. If you research IFI you'll find lots of examples, even more than were in Postman's book.

I have a Lakeside anvil which is the one I use the most. My Dad left me a bunch of hatchets that are Keen Cutter brand. He collected them. Did'nt know Keen Cutter was into selling anvils under their name. Interesting!

• 1 year later...

AIA Lists Black Jack Keen Cutter as made by H-B for Simmons Hdw. in St. Louis in 1913-14.  There is a picture in AIA p, 291 where the Stamp is " Keen Cutter" with a "C" .

I saw an old Keen Cutter ad from Simmons  that listed a blacksmith starter kit that included a 125lb anvil as well as other anvils.

Picture1.jpg

I have 2 Hay Budden anvils with JE Pilcher, BLACKJACK stamps.  I was under the impression they were made for the Simmons Hardware store.    This Anvil (73 lbs) is  Serial 17689 which according to AIA dates it as 1985 production.   SO Did Hay Budden make blackjack anvils under 2 different names?

IMG_4036.JPG