I Forge Iron

Cross letter opener

ausfire

This looks like a dagger but it's a letter opener. That's what I tell the kids who always want swords and daggers anyway.

Made from a wrought railway spike; just wanted some practice in making a reasonable looking blade. Might straighten out those scrolls on the handle and do them properly.  I am going to do a knife-making course in a few weeks time. I have never made a knife, apart from lots of letter knives, rail spike knives and such, so I intend to practise forging basic knife shapes. Learning about pattern and heat treatments will be new to me.

DSC_5875.JPG

about how long is it?

Littleblacksmith

like you said- almost like a dagger.

Littleblacksmith

Thanks Das; as I said, it was mainly an exercise in shaping a reasonable blade (and trying to control that confounded wrought iron). I have had next to no experience in knife making and I don't want to be totally clueless when I do the knife course in July. I have been avidly reading the posts in the knife forum and have learned a lot. Next I might try a blade or two from harder steel, like leaf spring or coil spring to see how it works and if I can get a good edge.

Very nice I like it. I made my first real letter opener a few weeks ago. One deference I noticed from making knife blades is that on a letter opener the bade needs to be very thin and flat, at least 3" - 4" of it, to open envelopes easy. Not that I'm an expert at either but it was just an observation from the one I made. You should have no trouble transitioning to knives though. Good luck with it.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎13‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 9:35 PM, tonyw said:

Ausfire, I guess you started the letter opener by cutting the spike like a Friedrich's cross? Do you remember offhand about how long those cuts were?

Tony, I can't recall exactly but I think the overlap was about a half inch (12mm) or so. It was an old wrought spike - a bit smaller than the newer mild ones.