I Forge Iron

help identifing use/manufacture

a couple days ago my dad stopped at a garage sale and picked up a few things for me. the first picture is just of what he got, in all he paid $6. what I'm interested in is the possible top hot cut. I'm not exactly Shure if it is one because first of all it was about 6-7 pounds which seems awfully big for a top hot cut, second of all the edge of the tool is VERY blunt/dull but I think that is because it chipped, it is not blunt enough to be a top fuller. I thought at first that maybe it was an old straight pein hammer except that one end is mushroomed out and the other end is tapered in BOTH directions (one more than the other), on the top of the tool where the eye is, there is a manufactures stamp that looks like a capital H in the center of a shield. anybody know who made this? and also what would you use this large of a top hot cut for (if it is one)?sorry my picture taking skills aren't the best.

Littleblacksmith

IMG_4479[1].JPG

IMG_4484[1].JPG

IMG_4485[2].JPG

IMG_4486[1].JPG

IMG_4487[1].JPG

IMG_4488[1].JPG

any idea of the manufacture?

Littleblacksmith

Do ya'll think that is the original handle? it looks like part of a double bit axe handle, but I'm not sure if that's how its supposed to be. I'm thinking it's not because it isn't properly wedged. Though, it almost looks as old as the head.

Littleblacksmith