I Forge Iron

WIP Seax-ish Belt Knife

Eric Morgan

Working some on this guy this evening... Still have some more grinding to do to thin the spine down and get the last of the forging marks out. It's 52100 from an outer bearing race. 

This stuff is TOUGH to forge BTW lol... Much harder than the 1095 I've hammered on... 

Gonna use some Wild Cherry with a brass guard... 

image.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

Decided to not go the wild cherry route... Got some walnut and maple for another project, and thought I'd use a bit of both of them... I've attached a pic of the blade draw-filed before heat treatment, and with a concept sketch of what I was going for. I  have decided to not have a plunge line or choil. I figured a full flat grind will give me more of the look in wanting with this piece.

image.jpeg

Finished her up today... Decided against a butt cap, as the wood had a nice dark streak in it that gives the maple some extra flair IMO... 

I I know it isn't perfect, but it's the first knife I've finished with a handle (my first was a "blacksmith knife" and the second didn't survive heat treatment) and I'm proud of it. I'm sure in time I'll look back and wonder why I would show it to you guys, but I think I may have worked my way through at least a small portion of the learning curve with this project.

I would like to add that I have never done any woodworking in my life, and ironically, I think the handle turned out better than the blade did almost lol

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Thanks Jackdawg. 

As far as the copper corrosion, I honestly don't know. Hopefully, any corrosion can be kept to a bare minimum. Once the Danish Oil is cured? Set? Hardened? Or whatever the appropriate term is, my intention is to buff it and finish over that with something like Renaissance wax, so maybe that will keep the copper clean