I Forge Iron

Brick or Firebrick?

Bhutton

Hey there...Im using a shop built forge with a brake drum and a bath fan for the air supply. I have it lined with brick from a house...Not Firebrick.

Can someone tell me what are the consequeces of using this?

Im currently buring hardwood charcoal and getting ready to convert to coal and it just got me to wondering.

Is this unsafe for any reason? Ive been using it for a while. Should i continue this use?

Thanks in advance...Bruce

well I have used just regular brick around my forge (not in the fire pot) to keep my coal on the hearth of the forge, and they ended up  busting and cracking. they were about 10years old so that may have been what caused it. What I've heard is that fire brick is better for standing up to hirer heats than regular bricks (duh, their called fire bricks:D).

Littleblacksmith

The consequences are that you will FORGE STEEL AND MAKE STUFF!!! AND HAVE FUN!!!

Seriously, though, since you're not looking to these bricks for structural strength but rather to fill up volume, you're probably okay. They're just going to degrade faster than firebrick would, but the pieces will still occupy the same volume as the unbroken brick.