I Forge Iron

Big blu 65 power hammer

• 2 weeks later...

I ran the guts out of one making pattern welded steel for one week at a class. In the week I ran it the signal switch failed, the valve for the treadle locked up and some bolts fell out but I cant remember were, it was 2 years back. Also the dies would not stay tight and kept walking out. I was interested in them myself until I got to see and use one, after that I was not impressed.

• 2 weeks later...

I own a 110. I have used it for days texturing 4" x 1/4" flat bar (800 ft of it) and have over 1200 hrs of use on it. I recommend the 110 because it will do 90% of the work you'll need. I found the 65 to be a little light. You absolutely need to torque wrench your dies in place. I oil my guides everyday and grease the gap in the lower die (prevents scale from jamming it up. I have a 7.5hp 80 gallon compressor and it seems to keep up just fine. Josh at big blu is tops!!!! I am actually looking for a 155 so yah I would recommend big blu.

fpK6CGK-i1BK84f8wgxkE9fPAbsWp_MwTU4h63DPM9k.jpg

On Wednesday, May 04, 2016 at 6:37 PM, marcusb said:

I ran the guts out of one making pattern welded steel for one week at a class. In the week I ran it the signal switch failed, the valve for the treadle locked up and some bolts fell out but I cant remember were, it was 2 years back. Also the dies would not stay tight and kept walking out. I was interested in them myself until I got to see and use one, after that I was not impressed.

I feel this is a pretty unfair assessment of big blu. There are only a dozen bolts on the entire hammer. If you don't torque the dies in place they will come lose. I have a lot of long hard hours on my 110 and have never had any issues. Sounds to me like you used a hammer that had no maintenance being done and was owned buy and idiot who just refused to follow the little bit of recommended maintenance there is...........IE.....check the guides weekly, oil them daily, torque the set screwd on the die holders........... I am sorry you used a hammer in poor condition. I torque my dies rune a few minutes and check the again, never had the dies come lose. I can't imagine the irritation you must have experienced but it was not the hammers fault, it was the owners fault."if your not there for your tools, your tools won't be there for you!"