I Forge Iron

Sharing my Work (Old and New)

TToch

Hello everyone, I wanted to show you all what I've been working on for the past couple of days. As I explained to another member, when I first joined this website I had posted a couple pictures of knives I forged from rebar, and I received a lot of critical feedback. Taking some time off I decided to heed their advice and purchase some good steel (1084) and begin making knives through stock removal. The first picture are my old knives and the other two pictures are of my new knives (which still aren't completely finished). I'd love to hear what you all think of them! 

(All of the knives are about the same size... Roughly 7 inches long, all 1084, with varying handle material) I am no longer in possession of the Bowie, as it was a gift for a friend.

I intentially left the rough finish on all of the blades as I think it adds character, just a personal preference.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Jonah k said:

Nice blade shapes and I like the polished mill scale finish! Have you given up on forging or just taking a hiatus.

As of right now, I'm going to stick to stock removal. I just find the process a little bit more enjoyable, but I might go back to forging once I get more experience.  And yeah I really like the look of the scale pattern, makes each knife unique!

1 minute ago, jcornell said:

Okay, I'll bite - if you're doing stock removal, how do you get scale pattern?

When I heat treat my knives, I use a coal forge to bring them up to critical temperature for the quench (in canola oil). The knife gets this pattern from the thin layer of scale that develops while its heating.  I've experimented with it a little bit and this pattern can pretty much be erased if you just brush the scale off right before the quench, but I like it so I keep it!

Big improvement T. Don't stop working at the anvil while you develop your grinder skills. There isn't the frustration learning both skills at the same time if you're not trying to combine them at the same time. If that makes sense. :huh:  If not, it's true anyway. ;)

Good job, carry on.

Frosty The Lucky.

8 hours ago, jcornell said:
6 hours ago, fordguy_85 said:

I could be wrong, but to me it kinda looks like decarburization... 

I don't believe it is, I am extremely careful during the heat treating process as I've found out it can make of break a blade. From what I understand (I'm still somewhat new to knife making) decarburization is the process of steel losing carbon due to excessively high temperatures, correct? If so, then no decarburization has occured, I try very hard to get my knives as close as I can to optimal temperature (with the minimal equipment I have) before quenching. And if there is another way decarburization can occur, I would love to know about it!

3 hours ago, Frosty said:

Big improvement T. Don't stop working at the anvil while you develop your grinder skills. There isn't the frustration learning both skills at the same time if you're not trying to combine them at the same time. If that makes sense. :huh:  If not, it's true anyway. ;)

Good job, carry on.

Frosty The Lucky.

I understand, maybe I'll try to get back into this weekend, thanks!

7 hours ago, fordguy_85 said:

I could be wrong, but to me it kinda looks like decarburization... 

I keep trying to edit my comment, but the changes won't save. What I meant to say was no MAJOR decarburization has occurred. From what I understand there will almost always be small amounts of carbon loss in the surface.

10 hours ago, TToch said:

I keep trying to edit my comment, but the changes won't save. What I meant to say was no MAJOR decarburization has occurred. From what I understand there will almost always be small amounts of carbon loss in the surface.

I think my comment could've been better worded also... I'm very new at knifemaking, so I meant my comment more as a question than a statement. 

I've seen similar patterning on some blades I've heat treated, and have been pulling my hair out trying to avoid it thinking it has been significant decarburization... 

BTW, I like those knives you posted...

22 hours ago, fordguy_85 said:

I think my comment could've been better worded also... I'm very new at knifemaking, so I meant my comment more as a question than a statement. 

I've seen similar patterning on some blades I've heat treated, and have been pulling my hair out trying to avoid it thinking it has been significant decarburization... 

BTW, I like those knives you posted...

Thank you! I'm sure that some decarbonization has occurred, but not to the extent that it would effect the quality of the blade. I'm sure if I had a more controlled environment (gas forge or an even-heat oven) the pattern would almost be nonexistent.