I Forge Iron

Oil feed for 1cwt Alldays and Onons

Anybody know of the oil system for a 1cwt Alldays and Onions. My hammer seized and when I pulled of the head it was a bit dry inside but I cant find out how it gets oil into the hammer section. It has an automatic oiling system for the main bearings and gudgeon but that is as far as I can see. There are no other pipes going to the cylinders.

On our one there's a manual pump at the back that's connected to the valve chamber with a thin copper pipe. You may want to check for a small hole on the top of the valve chamber to see if yours had something similar that's gone missing. Will try and take some photos tomorrow if that'll help

• 3 weeks later...

You do have enough oil in the sump?

My 1cwt is manual and my 3cwt is automatic.  Automatic the pump is run off a cam lobe on the crankshaft and manual is either a lever or plunger on the back.

Either way, oil should be fed into the rotary valve drum and from there is carried by the air to both master and slave cylinders.

My starting routine is to put a line of oil across the flats on the back of the piston before starting. It is a bearing between cast iron and brass and is fairly forgiving/self lubricating but the oil helps to lubricate before the air fed system gets under way.

The oil in the airways helps to create the air seal and also helps to flush out any abrasive dust.

There should be enough oil in the front cylinder to give the occasional drip and puff of smoke when it hits the workpiece. If it looks dry then it is. Check the oil feed pipe has not been crushed or cracked. 

If you haven't done already download the user manual/handbook and the Alldays brochure/specification I posted here a few months back.

I will post photos of the valve oil feed pipes on mine if it would be helpful?

Alan

HI Alan. Thanks for replying to my post. I haven't seen the manual. Could you email it to me at info@redhillwroughtiron.com.au. I worked out the problem of the slave piston not moving was the brass wear strip on the wedge was too tight. I also idea that oil entered the slave cylinder through oil misting. The main bearings are self lubricating but I don't know how oil travels up to the master cylinder. There are only outlet lines from the oil pump, 2 for the left and right main bearing and one for gudgeon (I think that is what it is called) I did install a valve in the slave cylinder cap that will allow a few drops of oil to be dropped in at prestart. The machine is working fine now.

Hi Alan. Yes pictures of your oiling system would be good to compare.

'twill be quicker for you to do a search on here for "Alldays Manual" than for me to find it on my hard drive...I think it is in both individual sheets and collated into one document.

I will photograph the oil pipes later in the week...I am digging footings at home for the next few days.

Alan

image.thumb.jpeg.5230537e8edd9344e6de6be

image.thumb.jpeg.1c34dc3aaf74a4aabc3a534

Herewith photos of the oil pipes.  The 3cwt has the automatic system, the pump delivers to the main bearings and the oil runs through the crankshaft to the big end and from there an oil pipe runs up the con rod to deliver to the little end. The other pipe from the pump goes through the casing an out to an oil pressure gauge and from there up to the rotary valve chest. 

The 1cwt has a plunger pump on the back and an oil pipe goes up over the top to the same point on the rotary valve chest.  

Have a careful look on yours at those connection points. Someone may have done the dirty trick they did on my 5cwt Massey when it was in storage. Nicked the copper pipe and smashed the glycerine sight glass. 

Hope these help. 

Alan