I Forge Iron

Help ID this shear please

Years ago I was in the building supply and we had a shear just like yours and we used it to cut reinforcing steel. It had a handle about seven feet long to give sufficient leverage. I don't know a value for it but I suppose it depends how much you need/want to keep it or sell it.

Hillsborough, N. C.

Edited by kbcshop
To leave my location.

1 hour ago, ThomasPowers said:

Ok the price probably on varies by a factor of 2 depending on where you are in the USA.

We are in California.  

9 minutes ago, kbcshop said:

Years ago I was in the building supply and we had a shear just like yours and we used it to cut reinforcing steel. It had a handle about seven feet long to give sufficient leverage. I don't know a value for it but I suppose it depends how much you need/want to keep it or sell it.

Hillsborough, N. C.

This handle is long as well, although I don't think it's seven feet.  

I'm curious as to why Scranton, Iowa is on it.  Scranton seems like a very small town, not a place where something like this would've been made.  But what do I know...

Iowa has tons of manufacturing. Every fire hydrant in Corrona Ca. was made in Oskaloosa Ia. Just sayin....as for the sheer, I've seen them around here (Mississippi) for $100.00 Anything is worth what you can get someone to pay for it :-) Anything I don't want to ship I'll post on CL for local pickup only and see who bites, good luck!

Thanks guys.  I went on an internet hunt for any history of manufacturing in Scranton, IA.  A google books search revealed some trade publications, namely a 1908 issue of "The Iron Age" in which they talked about the Quinn Wire & Iron Works of Scranton, Iowa.  Quinn had a fire in 1908 and was subsequently purchased by the Boone investment group and moved to Boone, Iowa under the same name.  Their product line was "gray iron castings" and "an extended line of hardware specialties."  I suppose the could've been made around that time, but I figured it was a little newer, maybe.  

The owner received an offer on an anvil and shear, which is why he asked me to check it out.  Thanks for your help.