I Forge Iron

first attempt at forging

SpencerDirks

Hey! Long time reader first time poster.

Growing up my dad did some hobby knifesmithing and blacksmithing so I've always had an interest in both. Recently I started experimenting with various forge designs and have had varying levels of success. Anyway this is my first attempt at hammer forging a knife shaped object out of a rr spike. I am aware that rr spikes do not generally have enough points of carbon to be anywhere near proper knife making steel so I didn't bother heat treating this piece which means this is closer to a letter opener or kso than a knife. In the future I think I'm going to do my experimenting with hardenable steels so my efforts are more worthwhile. Anyway here it is! Any and all criticism/advice is welcome

Thanks,

Spencer

IMG_5362.jpg

IMG_5361.jpg

IMG_5360.jpg

IMG_5358.jpg

IMG_5356.jpg

Wow, I'd say you did a really nice job.  Extra points for going the distance and taking the time to clean up the finish.  Most people who present a spike knife as their first project show something that looks like it has simply been squashed flat and is covered in 36 grit grid marks.  You, however, have achieved a nice level of fit and finish.

Now that you are addicted, grab some of the good blade steel you mentioned, and have at it :)

Thank you! I appreciate it. I'm sure a lot of spike knives make their way on here so I was a little hesitant to post something so basic. This guy was made as a gift for a friend so I wanted to make sure it looked nice, I spent a lot of time filing and sanding to make sure the twist looked as good as I could make it. Also tried to get a mirror finish on the blade but I realized after spending a few hours going at it that maybe my time would be better spent working on something other than a spike knife lol. The recipient loved it which was awesome. I'm looking forward to posting my first real knife when it's finished! Thanks for the feedback ☺