I Forge Iron

Post vise jaws need some work.

Culver Creek Hunt Club

I have been using my post vise for a couple months now and it has become apparent that the jaws need a little TLC. looking down on the jaws there is an ever so slight crown on both jaws. I didn't think too much of it until it was causing me some headaches. when fully closed the centers bottom out and the outer ends have a gap. It appears the ends of the jaws were used a great more than the center since I can still see gripping lines in the center. How would you go about adjusting the surface? I was thinking about using a file and setting the gap just big enough to get the file through the jaws on the ends and file my way to the center. I also considered ana abrasive disc on a grinder in the same manner but that seems like i would be one slip away from ruiniing it. 

As always, you insight is appreciated.  

• 3 weeks later...

I have done just that. An old shop/leg vise is in the shop I operate and in poor shape. They used it and wasn't even bolted down tight. Flopping about. It tool some time but yes, I did that. I suppose open them up quite a distance and use a grinder to take off the high spot then the file? I just used a file.

Don't forget that the jaws are often slanted top to bottom too so that they are parallel at a certain distance when opened as the moving jaw travels on an arc. If you do a lot of a certain job you can tweak them to be parallel where *YOU* need them to be for that job.

I forgot to post, but after reading you question about filing or using a cut wheel I went out and tried the cut wheel on my 6" vise just for the heck of it and it worked well and quickly. I set the jaws so that they open slightly less than the thickness of the cut wheel and took a pass or 2 closing the the vise ever so slightly after each pass. It would be real easy to bind the wheel so if you go for it make sure you've got the guard on. 

I had at it with a file a while back when I mounted the vise and quickly stopped caring about them not being parallel. My jaws where out less than the thickness of the cut wheel so it only took a few seconds to get them more than close enough.

14 hours ago, FoxFire said:

I forgot to post, but after reading you question about filing or using a cut wheel I went out and tried the cut wheel on my 6" vise just for the heck of it and it worked well and quickly. I set the jaws so that they open slightly less than the thickness of the cut wheel and took a pass or 2 closing the the vise ever so slightly after each pass. It would be real easy to bind the wheel so if you go for it make sure you've got the guard on. 

I had at it with a file a while back when I mounted the vise and quickly stopped caring about them not being parallel. My jaws where out less than the thickness of the cut wheel so it only took a few seconds to get them more than close enough.

Thank you. I kind of thought that the wheel should track pretty well. I was not looking forward to hand filing that.