I Forge Iron

Air Compressor?

SReynolds

Looking up some specs on commercial air amplifiers, it seems possible for both CFM and static pressure....but will tend to suck a lot of compressed air to get the job done at the usual forge parameters generally needed.  Online literature seems to show about a 20 to 1 increase in air volume when running full blast but is not clear regarding operations at lower volumes or pressures from the compressor.  In a forge situation, I don't see how they will come anywhere near the efficiency or simplicity of a standard blower

A home-made air amplifier is pretty simple.  I have several from an auction "box lot" that were designed to get higher volumes from standard blow guns--they are just a thick walled aluminum tube with some angled holes in the direction of air flow that screw on as the tip of standard "off the shelf" blow guns.  I find they work a lot better for blowing off dust when doing a shop clean-up as you don't need the high pressure jet for most "blowing" operations.

Lots of info on the web to research regarding the subject.  Might be interesting to see it tried.

putting hours on your compressor when not needed is not a great idea.  Big shops used to use compressed air when they were the type to have 4" pipes of it running everywhere and 100 hp+ compressors running all the time for other work.  Their air use for a forge was probably in the "leakage" range.

Try a simple 110 blower like is used for super efficient furnaces as exhaust assist; tell the local HVAC what it's for and they might give you one off their bone pile.  I know simple and cheap---it will never catch on!

I did experiment with a simple hair dryer. I couldn't believe how well it worked. I have informed folks it works but never had first hand experience m I used low setting and was quite quiet. Very tolerable. It was plenty of air. 

But I couldn't part with my old blowers. I have to turn a crank.

• 3 weeks later...