I Forge Iron

oxy propane set up

Agreed, acet makes a significantly higher absolute temperature. Oxy propane makes more BTUs per second and the temp is more than enough to melt steel. The efficiency of a purpose designed oxy propane torch is in my experience how much heat it generates how fast. The #5 heater (rosebud in oxy acet terminology) will and I was shown in the demo when I bought my rig and have since shown it to a couple others. The heater demo is to melt a 1" cube of mild steel. It's laid on a fire brick table and the torch is directed straight down on it from above at the ends of the primary flame cones. In a direct head to head comparison the oxy propane torch melted the test coupon into a puddle in just over 13, (Thirteen) seconds. The oxy acet torch had run the coupon to blue almost half way down in the same time and took IIRC in the neighborhood of 45 seconds to melt the coupon significantly. I was convinced before the acet torch melted it completely and nobody I've done the demo for wanted to wait either. The oxy acet rig had proven itself.

To be clear I'm using and talking about a torch designed specifically to use propane from the regulators to the torch tips and all the various torch tips are so designed.

Conversion torches have never been satisfactory in my experiences and yes I've used them when that was all that was available after the first couple try outs.

If you haven't used an Allstates oxy propane torch or the recently marketed Harris oxy propane torch you are operating on poor data. They are not the same animal at all.

Frosty The Lucky.

Yes they are but Harris sells world wide. I don't know if Allstates even sells their torch sets anymore. I had to hassle them for a couple months to get an address to send my regulator to for repair and it took another 5 months to get back. I can't really recommend the Allstates trademark. I'll see if I can link you to the specific Harris torch sets, I should have it somewhere. Remind me if I don't, my memory stinks I sidetrack at the drop of anything.

Frosty The Lucky.

On 3/8/2016 at 11:44 AM, Charlotte said:

To follow up on Frosty's comments.  I totally agree with his opinion.   I neglected to mention that Harris products is now owned by Lincoln Electric.  So if you find a Lincoln dealer you will find Harris.  

Btw 4403240 is the Harris number of their Pipeliner  Outfit. Good for Propane and Propylene. 

As I said Victor will work but Harris is better designed from the start,  

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/17/2016 at 7:27 AM, David Edgar said:

I put my OXY ACET equipment into storage and invested in an  OXY Propane torch, hose,regulator andspark arresters for cutting and heating. I now want to do some brazing and hard silver soldering, but cannot get a flame controllable enough.

I have tried googling for specific nozzles for brazing with oxy propane without success.What am I missing? Should I just be using OXY ACET welding torch and nozzles with my Oxy propane hoses,regs etc to get a smaller flame? I DO NOT want to return to ACET. .I have read this thread twice and the only reference to a brazing tip was by Frosty.

Help please.

Do you have a v

On 3/17/2016 at 7:27 AM, David Edgar said:

I put my OXY ACET equipment into jstorage and invested in an  OXY Propane torch, hose,regulator andspark arresters for cutting and heating. I now want to do some brazing and hard silver soldering, but cannot get a flame controllable enough.

I have tried googling for specific nozzles for brazing with oxy propane without success.What am I missing? Should I just be using OXY ACET welding torch and nozzles with my Oxy propane hoses,regs etc to get a smaller flame? I DO NOT want to return to ACET. .I have read this thread twice and the only reference to a brazing tip was by Frosty.

Help please.

Do you have a variety of tip sizes?

I don't  have any trouble.

I have not done much recently but I use tips with a recess. I cant adjust the gas pressure on the gauge it is always too high so I ignore the gauge and start from with the lowest I can get it to run and work my way up. You cant bury the primary flame in the work. there will be more general heating on a wider area, makes it harder to work without heatsinks.

I think the problem with flame stability is to do with propanes flame velocity, it is about half of acetylene, as soon as you go rich it leaps off the end of the nozzle hence the lower pressures and recessed tips helping.

1 hour ago, yahoo2 said:

I have not done much recently but I use tips with a recess. I cant adjust the gas pressure on the gauge it is always too high so I ignore the gauge and start from with the lowest I can get it to run and work my way up. You cant bury the primary flame in the work. there will be more general heating on a wider area, makes it harder to work without heatsinks.

I think the problem with flame stability is to do with propanes flame velocity, it is about half of acetylene, as soon as you go rich it leaps off the end of the nozzle hence the lower pressures and recessed tips helping.

Typical of a conversion torch. Lots of companies simply make acet regulators from propane safe materials an market "oxy propane" torches. A proper propane regulator has NO accessible adjustment or gauge. It meters the propane to the torch based on the oxygen draw. They are generally higher volume but low pressure by comparison to acet regs. You just CAN'T turn an acet regulator down low enough to supply propane at the proper levels.

Conversion rigs "work" for cutting and large heating torches but go through a lot more oxy.

I will admit I haven't used one of the "new" multi fuel torches so maybe they've figured out how to make an acet reg supply enough volume at a few OZ/sq in. that's ounces per square inch, not pounds.

Frosty The Lucky.

there is nothing like that available "off the shelf" nowadays Frosty. 0.2 psig is the standard spec low point for a LPG regulator, all manual adjustment.

If you can find something different and point it out to me I stand to be corrected.

cheers Yahoo

I think what you are referring to is an injector torch or an oxy-fuel handle that has an injector mixer. Designed to venturi the fuel into the flow of oxy.

570a3436c1046_injectormixerB-43-N.jpg.0c

this is the harris injector mixer that fits the 43-2 handle for brazing, its a B-43, the catch is there are 6 mixers, all matched to a particular sized brazing tip.

the standard high flow balanced pressure mixer is used for heating

cutting torch heads come in both versions

8 hours ago, yahoo2 said:

there is nothing like that available "off the shelf" nowadays Frosty. 0.2 psig is the standard spec low point for a LPG regulator, all manual adjustment.

If you can find something different and point it out to me I stand to be corrected.

cheers Yahoo

You can still get one from All States but they charge a bunch. Harris is the manufacturer. The patent expired and Harris is offering them under their name. Talking to a couple folk who have an inside are saying you need the right pt.# to get the old All States type reg. I'll have to get back when/if I get the order #. Remind me please my memory stinks especially short term.

Frosty The Lucky.

I put together a propane / oxygen torch this winter. i had a hard time finding information on line. Lucky for me the welding shop I go to is super helpful. I'm using a victor regulators my shop put a more sensitive spring on the propane regulated to help control the low pressure. Not all torches are made for propane i have a Harrison torch that all I needed to do was change the tips to propane tips. Here is a chart for tips. http://victortechnologies.com/IM_Uploads/doclib_8059_DocLib_4692_Victor%20Propane_LPG_Natural%20Gas%20Cutting%20Tip%20Chart%20(0056-0413%20Rev%20C)_Jul2011.pdf

you also need special hose like said before. This is what I did every torch and regulators is different the Best thing you can do is fine a good welding shop to help you. 

Using a propane torch is different than Acet torch. You adjust the flame different search propane torch smith equipment on YouTube they have a great video on how to set up a propane torch. I have been able to get some clean cuts using my torch.  Great for heating and bending.

good luck 

Thank You Arftist ,Frosty, Yahoo and others for your replies. I have now got a different mixer for my shank that suits all my nozzles, I am now kitted out for heating, cutting and brazing with oxy Propane and Acet.

As Charlotte and Arftist pointed out the nozzle end is suitable for both fuel gases, so long as the hoses and regs are specific.

your replies helped a lot.

thanks David.