I Forge Iron

Is this a High price?

Guy has it on Craigslist for $250, Vulcan 80 pounder. Based on my search here that seems kinda high, but that's also without knowing how a hammer acts on it. Edges chipped off pretty bad. What would be a fair price to offer on this?

00H0H_6PEmqe19ruU_600x450.jpg

00R0R_hEIHWc6Bfue_600x450.jpg

00p0p_eWzsf2QiCfh_600x450.jpg

In my humble opinion it all comes down to what you are willing to pay. As a general rule I personally wouldn't pay more that $4.00 a pound, given the area I live in. You also must factor in the condition and the make of the anvil.  That one comes out to around $3.00 which  I think is high considering the chipping and the fact that it is a Vulcan anvil. I would offer a lower price and see what comes of it. Just my two cents!

1 hour ago, ThomasPowers said:

I'd like to see a vulcan going for 1/2 the rate of a better quality anvil; I consider them about the lowest quality brand that counts as a real anvil Are Peter Wrights, Trentons, Hay Budden's etc going for US$6 a pound in your area?

I totally agree, I have an anvil that I believe is a "Badger" brand anvil it looks nearly the same as the Vulcan anvils and is constructed the same way. After working on both it and my Peter Wright, it is miserable to work on in terms of rebound not to mention a rather poor shape in several areas.