I Forge Iron

Need help ASAP

A guy wants to sell them to me for 75 a piece. I'm a blacks/blade smith looking for hadies( anything smithy actually and he to me that they were hardies. Ideally I'm looking for a cone and a larger wedge'& a dome or mishroom hardy. They just didn't look right so that's why I'm asking. TBH they looked like RR SPIKES w finished forged tops. How much do these usually run for and could I get ANY USE or would J be wasting my money. Thax for the help guys. Any other suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated. :-)

Edited by 4Leaf Clover Brett
Spelling

That seems rediculously high for something you could forge yourself. ( if your a blacksmith) I dont know the age or antique factor but why dont you focus on Making what your looking for? doubt they would be what your looking for Or priced right other then what you'll find on ebay.. it's all up to you and what you really need. I doubt these are it. Your call tho.

Those are WAY high priced, the seller probably Googled "Tinker's stakes" and priced close to new. Piehtool dot com carries a full selection of stakes from gold and silver smith's stakes to blacksmith's stakes. The brand spanking new "mushroom" stake was $171.00 but the ball stake was $80.00 and no I didn't look through the whole list nor do I get a cut. Pieh just showed up top of the hit list.

While it's a real job of work they're not technically difficult to forge and finish yourself. If you do much sheet work a snarling iron is a sweet treat.

Frosty The Lucky.

Me I just go to the scrapyard and find something that works for 20 cents a pound---and sometimes a *real* stake shows up there.  Bought a bracelet mandrel there for less than a dollar once and I picked up a mint condition stake plate for a penny on the dollar for a new one.   Buying tools for big bucks when you don't know you need them is a different hobby than blacksmithing. It's called "Tool Collecting".