I Forge Iron

New and know very little

RobinD69

Have always been interested in blacksmithing but haven't really taken a serious look at until recently.

I have a forge( brake drum forge), working on a grill forge.

Don't have coal but have wood and access to charcoal.

Have an anvil with the horn broke off, would like to know how to put it back together. have a railroad track about 12 inches long and a heavy chunk of steel and some steel plates.

Joined this site for some advice

Oh yeah my name is Robin, father of 4 sons, married to my lovely wife for over 28yrs. currently 47yrs old work for a local garbage company and live in Gaston, NC.

I am an artist and a woodworker just like to try things that interest me.

Welcome aboard robin glad to have you. Don't worry about trying to put the horn back on the anvil they're not as useful as folk seem to think. Turn it into either a bottom tool by welding a square shank on it that fits the hardy hole or fits in the vise and it'll work just as well as on the anvil. You have the most important part, the sweet spot in the center so you're golden.

If you really want an intact London pattern anvil keep your eye open for a bargain on one, they come up just don't get in a hurry.

Okay, lets see, forge, charcoal, anvil good so far, have hammers and tongs? If yes you're good to go. Iforge is arranged by category with archived posts, pick a section or sub section pull up a chair, bring a snack and beverages and sit down for some reading. Virtually anything you can think of to ask has been answered sometimes many times. Doing some reading will give you a handle on what to ask and how, the jargon is important so we understand each other without having to figure it out.

It's an evolving trade jargon or perhaps it's distilling? We have members from all over the planet and smithing jargon can be darned regional so we're picking up terms from all over. It's a cool time to be here. Enjoy the ride.

Frosty The Lucky.

Depending on the brand and age of your anvil the horn may be wrought iron, cast steel, cast iron or steel faced cast iron.  Each different material would have a different method of re-attachment; but in general the cost in time and supplies to re-apply the horn would be more than the cost of an anvil with the horn attached.  Frosty's idea of making a hardy tool from it is a good one.  However as also mentioned, you don't necessarily need a horn.  When I teach S hook making I teach them to do it without a horn or bending jig for instance.