I Forge Iron

New Home Built Forge Winter Project

SReynolds

I found what appeared to be a forge for sale at the local blacksmith supply store. Sorta a blank canvas if you will, in which to build a contemporary forge/clinker breaker fire pot. There wan't anything inside to hold the fire except for a few 1/2 bolts wedged into the tapered sides. 

The old world and rivet forges are nice if that is all you have. I have outgrown the rivet forge and masonry unit with holes in the firepot you have to clean out with a poker. They are getting quite tough to use as I have visited other shops with a clinker breaker firepot. They are quite modern and oh so easy to use.

My hope is that this will allow enough air to pass through the clinker breaker into the fire. I have a Champion 400 that will set next to the forge and connect to the bottom via a stainless steel 3" flex pipe.

Next step is the fabrication of an easy to operate ash dump. One which will activate with the twist of the wrist as opposed to taking a cap off or unbolting a plate. Then a tool rack.

My clinker breaker will activate with anything I desire as the end of the shaft is a 3/8" square hex drive. The breaker is a solid steel 2" cylinder rotating between two 1/2" thick steel plates.

Contemporary forge 003.jpg

Contemporary forge 001.jpg

Contemporary forge 002.jpg

BSing stuff 005.jpg

you might want to put a piece of angle iron or something, around the edge so that the coal doesn't fall of of the sides.

Littleblacksmith

Home made. I had stuff. It isn't made from any one item. From scratch if you will. The entire unit is from scratch. All in my mind from forges I have seen and worked with in the past. All except the cast iron portion. No idea what that was. A forge obviously, but from what I have no idea. It was used and setting at the local farrier supply. Kinda a blank canvas.

Sideways pics of a trial fire. The small wood fire and then the coke.The air flow is more than enough around the clinker breaker cylinder.

The perimeter fence has been a real challenge.  I want it to look factory and with all the complex bends it was best to hire it out for fabrication. Bolting a few sections of iron on for a fence isn't the way I roll.

This is going to be a real pleasure to operate. It seems 4" deep firepot will be perfectly suited with green coal surrounded converting into coke.

20160305_103214.jpg

20160305_105035.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 0:15 PM, SReynolds said:

I want it to look factory

you hit the nail on the head! it looks really nice. The "fence" looks professional, I think you did the right thing by sending it to a fabricators shop.Yours is probably the nicest not-factory made coal forge ive seen. good work!

Littleblacksmith                                                                                               

Thank You. Excited to see how it will function. It is a bit different compared to the big stone forge and the two round rivet forges I have used for years. The blower will be on the right side. I hope that works. It's the perfect forge for electrification but I have several old crank blowers I can employ.