I Forge Iron

Putting things togather

dps9999

Hey guys just want to get everyone's opinion on something. So the knife i am working on has both front and rear bolsters. So i got the front ones on so now i can either put the back one on and then slide the handle material into place or i can put the handle material on first and then the rear bolster. At first i thought putting the handle material on first and then doing the rear bolster. I figured it would be easier to get a tighter fit that way. But everything i have been able to find (mostly reading but one video too) does it where the rear bolster goes on first the the handle material is slid into place last. I guess the point is you can take tiny bits off the handle material off until it slips into place. Has any one done this and have any tips, advice, opinions on this? i am a lil torn.

Yes your right EVERYONES might be too much to read probilly make 3 blades in that time..........No adapter what do you mean? and yes full tang...i have done a couple bolsters before and i mean a COUPLE but never did both front and back bolsters. i already got the front ones are since its a design i came up with that is the most intricate part of the blade. its not just a rounded bolster it has a few points to it that needed to align perfectly so i wanted to get that done first. What i have done as far as pins is use a tapered reamer on the holes of the bolsters and i have these lil "compression" clamps i think they are called to me its kinda like a clothes pin but stronger. I use that to hold the bolsters to the knife throw the pins in and if i get a lil bit of a wobble i peen very slowly constantly checking they are straight un till they stick (well thats how its suposed to go) this design gave me problems aligning the front ones finially got it on the 3rd attempt and 2nd set of bolsters that were made. so now i gota put another set of bolsters on the butt end of the tang and a piece of handle material inbetween the 2. At first glance it seems easier to get a good fit by doing handle material next then bolsters but what i read and saw a video was the opisate ...rear bolster and then cut and trim the handle material to slide into the middle and the more i think about it i think that might be the best way since when you put handle material in keeping in mind doing that way you gota get the size right i figure cut slightly over size and then trim tiny amouts at a times till it just slips in so i can kinda trim the handle material to fit once a bolster is cut there isnt any wiggle room you peen it straight down no sliding one way or another. any way iam rambleing but maybe that will help ya get what iam trying to do i am curious as to what adapter your talking about thomas.

Hard to describe the the idea is to get a machinist vise with a long throw and removable jaws and then replace the jaws with metal plates that extend up above the top of the vise and drill/file/saw/mill the plates so that one has a slot/hole for the tang and the other has one for the blade so you can slid a hidden tang blade on the knife and tighten it up while the glue sets..  Mounting a chunk of wood the blade can push into can allow you to tighten the handle down on the tang as well.