I Forge Iron

Just wanted to say hello.

Hello everyone, 

I am so happy to find this awesome forum. I have been in Alaska 4 years now and I have (much to the wifes dismay) decided to take up smithing with an emphasis on knife/bladesmithing. 

I would love some more information if possible on the association and would definitely love to sit silently in a corner and learn.  

- Blake

Welcome aboard Blake, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header there might be folk close enough to visit. I'm in the Valley and a number of guys are in the Anchorage area. There are a couple members farther out but no a lot. One is in North Pole and one we haven't heard from for a while is in Sterling. Most of us are in the Anch and Mat Su areas though.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks for the welcome! I am actually in Peters Creek so it seems I am smack dab in the middle of the action. 

My days and nights have been consumed with page after page of blacksmithing books and knife making. 

I was fortunate enough to get an amazing deal on a propane forge custom made by a fellow in Palmer, and I am putting the finishing touches on a homemade anvil this saturday. (I hope) 

I have already prepped myself with the idea that my ambition outweighs my skill as of now and I am excited to come by the next meeting and learn some things. 

http://imgur.com/ewDYl9W

Edited by Magramel
Added a photo

That puts you about mid way alright. Who made the forge? Probably better PM me a name, he might not want to go public. Nice piece of stock for an anvil, we should talk about it before you start trying to make it look like a London Pattern anvil. I'll shoot you a PM as soon as I get back from a dump run. I'm on my way out the door now but a bell rang on my comp.

Frosty The Lucky.