I Forge Iron

Please help identify this anvil

CWT 1 2 5 = 173 pounds well within weighing tolerance so it was most likely made by one of the 200+ anvil makers in the UK.

No steps on the feet so most likely not a Peter Wright; a wander through Anvils in America is called for looking for the OL and HOL

5 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

CWT 1 2 5 = 173 pounds well within weighing tolerance so it was most likely made by one of the 200+ anvil makers in the UK.

No steps on the feet so most likely not a Peter Wright; a wander through Anvils in America is called for looking for the OL and HOL

For what it's worth and maybe you already know this but, early Peters did not have stepped feet and looked very much like every other anvil of the day...

Can anyone tell me if this is an ASO or possibly something to look into? He is wanting 175 for it, but I am skeptical before even going. 

00P0P_czxC8D8jJKw_600x450.jpg

This second one has a seem down the middle which makes me skeptical as well. 

00V0V_bs4m4bQ30LG_600x450.jpg

At last this trenton is a 60lb and the fella is wanting 7.5 per pound coming up to 450 bucks. Worth? or make him come down?

00c0c_f30WcSYZSep_600x450.jpg

I believe that the first anvil, with the hardy hole oriented on the diamond, is likely one of the Harbor Freight Russian anvils, from accounts I've read of same.  If so they were on the order of 110 lbs and reportedly a bit soft, but still usable after some clean up.  From my research, the original prices for those anvils, new, were considerably below what he is asking, but it looks like the cleanup has already been done, and you get that cool stand...:rolleyes:

I wouldn't pay $7.5/lb. for an anvil, but each to his own.  Anvil price and value are extremely location and user dependent.

1: A russian harbor freight is cast steel and an anvil; not with standing it being a tad soft, check that one to see if it's cast iron or cast steel.

2: the seam down the middle of the face means it's probably one of the mexican anvils that are cast using "real" anvils as a pattern, usually not heat treated and cast from what's left in the ladle at the end of the day---so might be a great alloy or a terrible one; I'd spark test it and see and then decide if you want it.

3: Trenton's a great anvil but you could buy one and pay for your trip to Quad-State to get it  for that kind of money

Have you read about the TPAAAT?   Buying anvils that are not being sold by folks wanting more than they are worth is generally a better way to go.

Thomas Powers