I Forge Iron

happy co-incidence

ausfire

Here's a funny thing. Wanted to make a small bird sculpture for a friend, so looked around in the scrap for a couple of likely pieces. I found a hook for a body and a blade off some scissors for a beak. 

Now here's a thing ... when I cleaned up the hook with acid (heavy gal) I saw the name cast into the hook was the surname of the person for whom it was intended. What a happy co-incidence that this bird is really personalised. I found a few more of those hooks, but this was the only one with that name. My guess is that the Sewell company is a manufacturer of electrical components or something, but I found no reference on the 'net.

It's special when things like that happen. I recently made a long-necked bird for a Swedish couple. I used the handle of an old mincer, cast with 'Made in Sweden'. Little things like that add something.

Anyway, here's the Sewell bird:

sewell1.jpg

sewell2.jpg

Is that a nylon insert Das, hence the do not reuse?

Ausfre, What makes you suspect Sewell to be an electrical component manufacturer, I would have thought a lifting equipment manufacturer would be more likely. Especially as that nicely put together sclpture looks like a 'crane' to me :D

( a quick net search found Gregg Sewell Forgings with a few branches across Aus....a likely candidate? )

7 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Is that a nylon insert Das, hence the do not reuse?

It is Smoggy, probably a wheel axle nut,  just never saw one stamped like that. 

The little things do add a lot.  Those hooks make great bird bodies. Cant wait to get out and get some that I Don't need around the farm. :) 

12 hours ago, Smoggy said:

Ausfire, What makes you suspect Sewell to be an electrical component manufacturer, I would have thought a lifting equipment manufacturer would be more likely. Especially as that nicely put together sculpture looks like a 'crane' to me :D

( a quick net search found Gregg Sewell Forgings with a few branches across Aus....a likely candidate? )

Well, I figured electrical component because these hooks are used on high voltage power lines to hold the glass insulators. Your net search could be right, Smoggy. I missed that one.