I Forge Iron

Identification Anvil

Hi  New guy here,

I did buy today a anvil from an old man who can not work with his hands anymore.

I paid € 200,00  that is about 150 / 160 GBP

on the side there is a stamp with an anchor and the number 152, i presume that 152 means the KG so it must be 152KG or 304 LB

but i can not find a name behind the anchor.

the hammer slams good back and it sounds like a bel56acd224e7505__85(2).JPG.53c0be62249c75656acd2290bc0b__85(3).JPG.1769dcf1ebe322156acd22fd721a__85.JPG.5dcd7b66d297b21b5b56acd2348bf63__85(1).JPG.062c6714406414f

here some pictures of the anvil

I concur with wicon. I have one of those in my shop right now and have sold some in the past. I'll be adding that brand to the "Anvils Review by Brand" segment in this forum soon. Once I do please add your great example! Or you could start that thread now! I'm still working on the S&H thread.

The weight 152kgs should convert to 335 pounds.

Great anvils by the way! Great rebound and excellent construction.

14 hours ago, Jakesshop said:

I concur with wicon. I have one of those in my shop right now and have sold some in the past. I'll be adding that brand to the "Anvils Review by Brand" segment in this forum soon. Once I do please add your great example! Or you could start that thread now! I'm still working on the S&H thread.

The weight 152kgs should convert to 335 pounds.

Great anvils by the way! Great rebound and excellent construction.

Thank you for the quick rsponse, so it is an Carl Schlasse anvil from Germany.

now i know that he stopped after 1945 so this anvil must be at least 70 years old, but is there a record or a file that give me a manufactioring date ?

I start a new tread in Brands, and i look very nice do discuss futher

A lot of the records from anvil manufactures in and around Germany was destroyed in the bombings of WWII. I too would love to see some detailed information on anvils from there. We are lucky that the manufactures records on anvils and equipment is relatively easy to find here in the US. And with some dedicated individuals like Richard Postman and njanvilman of the Fisher & Norris Factory Museum and many others that are preserving that information.

I haven't seen the addition of the Carl Schlasse to the "Anvils by Brand" yet. Have you started that thread?