I Forge Iron

Vise identification

A671

Does anyone hsppen to know what  brand vise this is. If so, is it a good quality. What do you think the value is? There is no woolen in the jaws and the clamping is even all the way across.  The jaws open up to 7". Also how old do you think it is? The Only way markings I see on it is a big number 5 and a tag that says made in Japan. It also weighs around 50 pounds.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Value depends a lot on WHERE it is even just withing the USA; since over 150 different countries use these forums where are you at?  I can say that since no trade name is on it; it's not one of the high dollar vises; however the Japan is generally a better quality vise than China---for modern times.  Japanese stuff used to be renowned for low quality 50+ years ago.  (Much like chinese tools today)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

If it is an old vice, it is usually a good quality despite country of origin. Of course if it is made here in the USA, we're especially proud of it due to the fact that we have been sold out to other countries manufacturing goods and importing them here.

• 4 years later...
  • 1 year later...

I have this same vise and need to find some jaw inserts for it. The only information I could find on it is the same, number 5, and made in Japan. I have only ever used it without any jaw pads on it, but I recently remounted it to a new workbench and wanted to re-lube it, plus find some of those c-channel jaws like on yours.