I Forge Iron

Is this for REAL?

It wouldn't work if it hung from the hook. It hangs from the 2 rods out each side and the bottom is pulled up to fill the top section. There is a divider in the center that the 2 pins are on. The top section is clear and the weight of it comes down to push the air out the tube in the end. The pulling of the chain lifts the bottom, fills the top and the top comes down on its own and that way their is a steady supply of air for the forge. Their are flap valves to direct the air the right way through.
It might be real, hard to tell without getting right up close. Someone has made a table out of it though.

Having done my apprenticeship on a bona-fide, pre- 1890's set of bellows, seen many more true antiques, and built several sets of double bellows myself, I would verify first the details of the item. There are many features that to me would be questionable. That being said, if you want a set of bellows to USE, AND you can get them for the right price......................

Just to clarify...I DO believe this is a REAL bellows, no doubt. I use one this size, maybe a tad bit larger even, when I work at the Dallas Historical Village in Dallas, Texas. What I was referring to was the price of the thing. It's like most all of the "old" forge ezuipment on eBay, rediculously over priced. But then most of the items are selling....

Why is it that these yuppie antique dealers have a penchant for turning these old bellows into coffee tables and selling them to other yuppies?
I have seen the "bellows/coffee table" thing a few times now, makes me wonder if there is just one source and maybe find this chap to have a little talk with him out back...
Or maybe get on the bandwagon and start making bellows coffee tables for four grand a pop! Could be lucrative. But I don't think I could bring myself to destroy these rare antiques for a quick buck.:mad:Dan.

2 years ago, my wife and I went to a garage sale. The best garage sale I have ever been to. There was a forge bellow there that was approximatle 5' in diameter. All of it was there, it just needed put back together. The guy started to restore it and I guess he lost interest. I would have it now if my wife were not with me. She just said where would you put it? I hung my head and walked away. I would also have a 15" craftsman planer. They were asking $50 each. She just didn't understand. Instead we left with a couple of antique chairs and a bunch of hangers for peg boards. Oh, and an old cast iron door from a boiler. My wife thought it was neat. Oh well. I guess I'm a bit whipped. I did leave with a couple of ladles. She hung them on the wall in the house. :(

Fred