I Forge Iron

Frosty T burner parts question

Iamnotcake

So I did a bunch of reading/lurking (finally signed up for the forums) and understand how this burner works, but I am trying to make sure that I bought the right part for the mig tip assembly portion. I bought two types fittings, and I am not sure which one is the one to use. If I can use both of them I will.

I've add pictures to make sure they are the right thing. Once my drill press comes in the mail I plan on building two then building a bigger forge than what I currently have, which is a paint can forge.

IMG_0257.JPG

IMG_0258.JPG

I prefer 1/4" flare to 1/8" male pipe thread. (MPT). I can't say for sure from the pictures but I THINK the bottom one is what I use, it needs the compression nut.

I"m not sure what the top one is but the one side doesn't look to be MPT.

Do you have the labels or even the receipt to describe what you got? I could make a more educated guess if I knew what I was looking at.

Frosty The Lucky.

The bags they are on are the labels of the product. Says the same thing on the receipt. The bottom one didn't come with a compression nut of any type. I was looking online and couldn't find a match from your write up you wrote. I figure a picture, if possible, would steer me the right direction. Then again to have you reply is a good thing see as you are the man himself.

Edit: i found some on amazon, but if I can I would rather buy it locally than have it shipped. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000LNKE9S/ref=biss_dp_t_asn

Edited by Iamnotcake
Amazon listing

The Amazon link is the correct fitting. Thinking about it now I have to buy the compression nuts separately too.

I wouldn't buy the fitting online, I take the correct drill bit you'd use to drill a hole to tap 1/4"-28 with me to the local heating and plumbing supply. I use the drill bit to gauge the hole in the fitting there is enough variation some are too big to work.

These are common fittings but not everywhere, a good auto or farm supply should carry them like Michael suggests. When the plumbing supply up my road was out I picked up a bag at Grainger's in Anchorage because I was close. There are a number of other places here in the Mat Su Valley I can find them.

Frosty The Lucky.

Good to hear about the amazon one. I will take your advice and take some bits with me to make sure they are the right fit.  Good thing there is a plumbing supplies store near by, bad thing I've got to wait like 3 days before I am off work to go there. Thanks for your help Frosty.