I Forge Iron

help with forge pot please

scottyp74

I made a throw together forge to get started. Now I want to make solid steel top forge. I have a nice heavy duty steel work bench I'm going to use to make it. My question is what size do I make the fire pit it self? I don't work anything over 2" to 3" diameter stuff. How wide and deep does it need to be? Any thought or suggestions.

To go from 1/2 inch square to 1 inch square you have 4 times the volume to heat.

To go from 1/2 inch square to 2 inch square you have 16 times the volume to heat.

To go from 1/2 inch square to 3 inch square you have 36 times the volume to heat.

2 inch round stock is 11 pounds per foot, and 3 inch is 25 pounds per foot.  Your fire and fuel will need to be adjusted to match the new volumes. 2 and 3 inch material will EAT fuel. Depending on whether you are heating the ends of the stock, or the middle of a piece of stock, and how long a heated section you need, will dictate the size and shape of the fire you want to build.