I Forge Iron

New guy

FarmerScott

Hello, New to iforgeiron. My name is Scott, I'm from Portland OR. I'm pretty new to smithing. I got into it after I was medically retired from the military for PTSD. A basic blacksmithing class was offered at our community college so I took it as one of my electives as I was earning my degree in horticultural and urban agriculture. I got hooked immediately. The forges fire and the rhythm of smithing I found calming and centering. I hope to grow as a Smith and absorb as much info as I can. And I hope to get to know some other smiths on this forum and around the Pacific northwest.

Welcome Scott. Thank you for your service. 

I think a lot of us find forging calming and centering. There's enough info here to keep you busy. 

I try to have a green thumb but it's usually black. My brothers got the green thumbs in the family. It's something I still try anyway. 

Welcome aboard Scott, glad to have you. Smithing is good therapy for many of life's . :huh: . . uh . . . challenges. It can be very meditative and teaches one control on so many levels it's hard to catalogue. Seriously, you can't even light a fire without doing it right let alone getting the steel to do what you want. It requires a person to set everything else aside, no Sensei could teach you to center better.

There are lots of vets here, you're in good company, thanks for serving.

Frosty The Lucky.